Our 2 foot, 5 year old wyckii

dingning

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2019
Agree, whilst the bulk of the fish is Wyckii like , along with the white edge to the pectoral and the lower body colour, the dorsal is not Wyckii shape (albeit damaged) and the jaw/ mouth is not either from this photo.
What do you think it could be, maybe hemibagrus microphthalmus or something else?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
D dingning IDK. I personally would post this photo and question on Planet Catfish to ask Dr. Heok Hee Ng, who revised this genus and added 30 new species to it not long ago. His screen name on Planet Catfish is Silurus. Be prepared to give catch location, a critically important info in hunting species ID.

dingning

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2019
D dingning IDK. I personally would post this photo and question on Planet Catfish to ask Dr. Heok Hee Ng, who revised this genus and added 30 new species to it not long ago. His screen name on Planet Catfish is Silurus. Be prepared to give catch location, a critically important info in hunting species ID.
The person who gave me this photo did not provide a catch location, just this image

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The person who gave me this photo did not provide a catch location, just this image
It is still worth a try. If you don't want to bother, I could post on the Planet Catfish.

New wyckii from Underground Aquaticz. 7"-8". Trying yet again...

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow, a reply after two years! OK, I'll leave it to you.

D dingning In that PCF thread, Dr. Heok Hee Ng, who is the most recent revisionist of the Hemibagrus genus, suggests that the fish in your photo may be wyckioides.

dingning

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2019
Just my personal opinion, but to me, the features of this fish seem different from those of a typical Hemibagrus wyckioides

Last edited by a moderator:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Just my personal opinion, but to me, the features of this fish seem different from those of a typical Hemibagrus wyckioides
If you yourself don't want to describe your thoughts in the PCF thread with your photo, you can post them here and I will copy them there. If those are good thoughts, I'd assume Dr. Ng might reply. Not a given he would though, unless based on science, like his species ID key for Hemibagrus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store