Retro gaming

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Few years ago my father and I decided to get one of those new NES classic editions. It’s basically a very small updated version of the original NES. We take it out every once in a while to play some old Mario or Zelda games.

A Mario themed room is very cool btw. I’m 20 years old and I wouldn’t mind a Mario themed room myself 😆.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I was totally hooked on Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe in the early 1980's...it wasn't retro then. :) I'm talking about the original stand-up feed-me-quarters commercial arcade game. I worked as a commissioned salesperson in the major appliances department of a Simpson's store in the one big mall in town. I actually had a pager that I wore while at work, so that during quiet spells I could go out into the mall and play the game; the ladies in the hardware department (next door to appliances) would beep me whenever a customer wandered in and I would scurry back in to make a sale (they were not on commission). I would take them all out for a nice lunch or dinner every couple of weeks, and everybody was happy. :)

When I moved out of that province a decade ago, one of the people I missed the most was the friend who still had a classic stand-up arcade-version Asteroids Deluxe in his rec room. :)

If there's one thing better than the original arcade game...it's the same game, but not requiring quarters, and with a cold beer close to hand. :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've never really been into gaming, never bought a games console of any type in my life. But years ago, I'm talking the mid nineties maybe, my nephews had the old Sega mega drive and they had a game called Kid Chameleon, see pic below.

I had a go one day and became hooked on this game. Around the same time my nephews were getting upgraded consoles and so give me their old Sega. I took it home with me and I played and played and played on that one game for hours at a time. It had me completely entranced for months.

When I eventually beat the bad guy up at the end my mission was complete, and i've never been on another computer game since Kid Chameleon all those years ago.

I got the pic below from the internet. This picture brings back such frustrating memories, lol, but I was completed addicted to it.

Screenshot_20230121-195807.png

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Incidently, I almost forgot about this one. A few years later after Kid Chameleon, maybe late 1990's, another game came on my radar which I dabbled with.

I was going down the same rabbit hole with this game as I was with Kid Chameleon, I was getting hooked on it. I didn't like how these games took over all my spare time, so I got shut of the games console and the few games that came with it.

The game in question????

One of the biggest of all time I believe.....Crash Bandicoot!

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
my nephews had the old Sega mega drive and they had a game called Kid Chameleon,
Ha, I remember that game. I am a child of the 80's and my friend had Kid Chameleon. It is a good game, I always thought the cover art was kind of odd.

I love retro games. but I really don't like modern games too much. I used to play games to see developers push the envelope on what is possible with low spec hardware. However, most of today's games seem so cookie cutter. Most modern games use prebuilt game engines (unreal and unity), which makes is easy to develop games, but rather boring from a technical standpoint, because all games today use the same core rendering engine. I guess it has lost much of the "magic" for me.

I am trying to think of retro-games that are "fish" related. And the one that stands out is an old/odd game called Seaman, which was first released on the Sega Dreamcast. You play the role of care-taker of a human/fish/amphibian hybrid. It was super advanced for its time: had interesting AI, and perhaps the first home game to ever use microphone based voice commands. It is a someone creepy game as the AI that controls the fish can get a little spicy and rude. I think it once told me off with quite precision.

On the weekends, I sometimes enjoy making retro style games using old tech. None of my games are very good. But I am playing with the idea of making a fish related game at some point in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store