battery back up system

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
what is the best way to protect my fish when the power goes out? all the ups systems and ecotech battery back ups i have been investigating do not seem to do everything i need. i want to have my tanks on life support for at least 48 hours without issues. all together i am using about 2200 watts. I already have the ecotech battery back up for my return pump, but it only runs the pump at 20% or something. last week the cleaning lady tripped the breaker and i lost 3 fish in 7 hours. totally unacceptable.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
3 fish in 7 hours seems extreme for sure, what is your stocking level, tank size etc.

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
its 450 gallon with a 50 gallon sump. i have 5 small rays, a small arowana, some danios, a large bichir, a small bichir, a giant gourami, and a couple silver dollars. the fish that died were a large severum, and one of the fancy guppies that lives in my sump. i have 2 other tanks as well, both 50 gallons. the other fish that died was a small discus in one of the 50 gallons. i was considering a generac natural gas generator that automatically kicks on, but they are super expensive.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Suprising that a guppy would croak before the Ray's but really happy for you that they survived

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
We used to scramble when the power went out, adding water to the tank to submerge the bioballs in the wet/dry filter behind the tank, and throwing a battery operated air pump into the tank. If the power was out for over a day, my husband would bring home a large generator. When we built our addition for the big tank, we installed a 20 KW Generac generator.

1676299471908.png

It truly is peace of mind to know that even if we are not home, the fish tank will keep running.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If your cleaning lady tripped the breaker, a generator wouldn't help at all. You may want to look at the power draw on the circuits that the tanks are on.

We also had a whole house generator installed a number of years ago so that we could keep the tanks running as well as our well pump for water and the rest of the house. We went with a propane 14K generator based on house size and it automatically comes on when the power goes out.

We had bought a portable gasoline generator from Home Depot during one 4 day power outage in the winter and it was a pain to keep it filled with gas but it got the job done for the tanks and furnace, unfortunately no water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store