battery back up system

Crazylegs78

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2020
I use a 2200w inverter generator from northern tool to run my mini-split AC and central air pump during power outages. It uses about a gallon of gas every 8 hrs or so, so very manageable. I have to be around to set it up though...so you and I both need to look into power loss notification systems lol!

Nate B

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2015
I'm ready for 1-2 days of mayhem but not weeks, and I have not spent much to get to this point. The Jackery and Ecoflo portable power stations will keep the essentials going without me needing to be there til the 2nd day. I also may be able to go more than 2 days by recharging one of the batteries somewhere creatively. I have my sump return pump and an airpump plugged into the Ecoflo one which is the plugged into the wall. When the power goes out, it keeps things running like a UPS on steroids. The Jackery is available for backup if the outage outlasts the primary one. The units I have are on the lower end of price/capacity, and these things are just going to keep improving and getting cheaper as time goes on. Since getting my tank setup this fall we've had 2 outages, 1 planned outage with the utility doing some planned maintenance/upgrades and another due to a big windstorm). Tank was fine both times.

I don't keep the tank lights plugged into battery backup but figure the plants will bounce back fine, at least the ones I keep. I don't keep the FX6 plugged into backup but it stays submerged, and its just secondary to the sump (and several times less efficient than the DC sump return pump that only takes 30 watts). I think on the 2nd outage I plugged it in a few minutes every few hours just to give it some circulation. I don't have the tank heaters plugged into battery backup and not super worried about it. For fall, winter, and spring temperature wise I'm pretty lucky as winter temps are mild (Western Oregon usda zone 8b). While the natural gas furnace won't work currently when the power is out, I have a high efficiency wood stove and a gas fireplace insert that both work without power. The ng water heater works without power. If for some reason natural gas lines did not work the room that the tank is in would be cooler as it is near the gas fireplace but not the wood-stove, but if needed I can heat water on top of the wood-stove.

Summer temps are typically mild and cool off at night due to low humidity in the summer season, but we did have a freak heat wave (115 F) a couple years back that would have been a bit nuts had it not been for the power & our old central AC unit staying on. Though the tank is in a daylight basement that stays mild it could eventually get pretty hot down there maybe, but I think my family and I would be having a tougher time with the temps than the tropical fish provided I've got enough surface agitation. Regardless, a mini-split heat pump would be nice to add into the mix for everyone's good, along with a gas inverter generator to power it and/or charge battery power stations on spot.

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
i just ordered 3 600 watts ups systems and im getting another ecotech marine battery back up. there is an ice storm coming wednesday, so it will be a good test. i also got a big gas generator as an emergency back up for my emergency back ups.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
why did you go so big? i am looking at the 6,000 watt generac. its around $2,200 at lowes. all my tanks and everything only draw about 2200 watts
Big tank...I wanted it "business as usual" during power outages. This is the transfer switch with eight breakers dedicated solely to the equipment room.
1676996382276.png

We have two 100 amp service to the house. After the fact, we added parts of the old house to the generator system...why should the fish be the only ones comfortable during an outage...

Reactions: deeda

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
My plan, which I probably won't get around to any time soon, is to put a 1kw inverter in my Rav, should be heaps to keep my tank filters going along with fridge+freezer, TV and internet.
I've had a few coworkers who have been without power for a week due to the cyclone, I wouldn't bother connecting stuff up if it was just going to be a few hours.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
West Coast experiencing major winter storms. 1677223481696.png

It's been 32 years since we had this much snow (our back yard) The power was out about 4 hrs this evening. 22 degrees was predicted for tonight, now upgraded to 27 degrees. While we have two wood stoves to heat our house, not every one around here heats with wood. Can't imagine no power, no lights, no heat on a freezing cold night. Grateful to share our fish's generator. Had a heat pump installed last summer (mainly for the AC) which is on the generator system. Our 2-yr-old grandson and his parents almost stayed the night, but the power came back on after 9 pm, and they went home.

With the snow, a lot of trees have come down, and there have been numerous road closures and outages. Not too long ago we had a 21 hr outage and have had outages of 3+ days in the past. Can't imagine trying to heat and aerate a fish tank during a long outage in freezing weather without a generator....been a life saver for our fish and us.

• Wow
Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
West Coast experiencing major winter storms. View attachment 1513608

It's been 32 years since we had this much snow (our back yard) The power was out about 4 hrs this evening. 22 degrees was predicted for tonight, now upgraded to 27 degrees. While we have two wood stoves to heat our house, not every one around here heats with wood. Can't imagine no power, no lights, no heat on a freezing cold night. Grateful to share our fish's generator. Had a heat pump installed last summer (mainly for the AC) which is on the generator system. Our 2-yr-old grandson and his parents almost stayed the night, but the power came back on after 9 pm, and they went home.

With the snow, a lot of trees have come down, and there have been numerous road closures and outages. Not too long ago we had a 21 hr outage and have had outages of 3+ days in the past. Can't imagine trying to heat and aerate a fish tank during a long outage in freezing weather without a generator....been a life saver for our fish and us.
Good thing your prepared. I believe every state in America needs to start preparing for the cold and snow.

Reactions: pacu mom

Faitham

Feeder Fish
Jul 12, 2024
Given your 2200-watt need, a beefy solution is essential. Check out the Tesla Powerwall or similar high-capacity batteries. I know they’re pricey, but they deliver solid performance and reliability.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Last August some devastating fires in our area came very close to the power lines bringing power to our community. The power was turned off for the entire area. After a couple of days, HUGE generators were brought in and strategically placed so that people would have electricity temporarily until the main system could be brought online again. My neighborhood was without power for 7 days and 22 hours. Business as usual for our fish, and we were comfortable, too, with our generator. Scary thing is that we only have a 250 gallon propane tank. Not wanting to run out of propane, I had the tank refilled twice (it was less than half empty). I also learned that the whole area is 3 days away from not having propane (both propane companies have more propane delivered every 3 days) We recently activated our well down by the river, and have a solar pump system that pumps water to the 2,500 gallon tank above our house. The well pump and booster pump from the water tank only operate when the sun is hitting the solar panels. I am now convinced that the safest and best recourse for a continuous source of power is to go with a stand alone solar generator system with batteries.

• Wow
Reactions: ken31cay and deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store