Common Houseplants in aqarium, the list!

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Personally I would do more testing in an isolated setting without fish and see what it does to the water. From a quick search I didnt get a clear answer to how toxic it would be for fish but found most people advising against it on different forum posts about Hedera in aquariums.
isnt this hobby so great lol. theres 100 posts about how pothos are toxic to fish. but we know its not a problem. its unreal how much up and down information is out there in the aquarium hobby. im going to do some testing and i will record my results for this post.

Reactions: Joseppe

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
Interesting. Maybe it has something to do with what's in your water and missing in mine.
I have massive amounts of calcium in my water, I do use a water softener but I installed a tab to draw water from before it passes through the softener for my aquarium purposes, maybe that makes the difference?

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
isnt this hobby so great lol. theres 100 posts about how pothos are toxic to fish. but we know its not a problem. its unreal how much up and down information is out there in the aquarium hobby. im going to do some testing and i will record my results for this post.
Was one of my goals with this thread 😁 discuss experience and potental possibilities. Once I start running more tanks again I'm also planning to run a test tank to just fool around with things and see what I can make work and not. Trial and error is a great teacher in my opinion.

I have a lot of empty tanks at the moment but for most I'm already making plans. I do have a small 30G which I would use for testing once I get more set up again.

Reactions: LukeOscar

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I'm actually more concerned about my cats chewing on the pothos than my fish. :) Although, the severum will definitely chew on it, I wouldn't be terribly upset if it did kill him. Destructive little ********.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I'm actually more concerned about my cats chewing on the pothos than my fish. :) Although, the severum will definitely chew on it, I wouldn't be terribly upset if it did kill him. Destructive little ********.
he really chews on it?? i was reading that most fish only bite pothos once. there's apparently something the plant released when bit. that burns the fishes mouth. must be a sucker for punishment LOL

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
he really chews on it?? i was reading that most fish only bite pothos once. there's apparently something the plant released when bit. that burns the fishes mouth. must be a sucker for punishment LOL
He's destroyed most every plant, except some sword plant which he did try to kill. I haven't been able to find pothos, but haven't made a big effort to track some down.

Reactions: LukeOscar

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
He's destroyed most every plant, except some sword plant which he did try to kill. I haven't been able to find pothos, but haven't made a big effort to track some down.
They should be commonly available in most gardening stores. The one I work at always has multiple species of Pothos present and we're able to order around 10-15 different species depending on what the wholesalers have. It's probably the best selling house plant next to Kalanchoe.

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
Let me correct myself, they're usually multiple of the same species but different variegation.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
They should be commonly available in most gardening stores. The one I work at always has multiple species of Pothos present and we're able to order around 10-15 different species depending on what the wholesalers have. It's probably the best selling house plant next to Kalanchoe.
They appear not to be that readily available, I've asked for pothos and devil's ivy. Got blank stares. Also looked for Epipremnum aureum without any luck. Could be bad timing, or different common names. I usually just look when when I'm there for other things. But a lot of various garden center websites DO have it listed, but out of stock.

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
Might have to do with your location I guess. In Europe you see them in every shop that sells plants. They might know them under the name Scindapsus.
Although if you get blank stares when using the latin names I'd say the people arent very experienced in their profession 😅
I always tell customers to give me the latin name of the plant they look for as a lot of plants share the same name in my native tounge, but are very different species.
For example Monstera Deliciosa and Fatsia Japonica, both popular plants here share the same name in my native tounge. Latin names can only ever refer to one specific plant. (As it goes for fish)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store