Official Pinima 225g Tank Thread

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Absolutely awful to hear man, the tank looked unreal and I believe you were definitely on the right track in regards to the darker water and decor helping the fish show their natural behaviour and colours.
Live and learn, looking forward to seeing the tems in there!

Reactions: bassinmike85

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Damn! Sorry to hear. I suspect you were onto something with the blackwater theme but are you saying you just overdid it somehow? You mentioned bogwood and almond leaves but were you augmenting ph in any other ways? Apologies and i know very little about keeping cichla but the deaths seem so mysterious to me

Reactions: bassinmike85

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
I was boiling Alder cones to extract the natural tannins and also to help them sink. When i added in the tannin tea it was to much and dropped the PH way to much and fast. When doing a natural approach to blackwater tanks using botanicals (indian leafs, alder cones, wood etc) It softens the water and naturally lowers the ph. But since i did to much at one time, It was a complete ph shock to the bass and they didn't bounce back. Hard lesson learned. But will be doing this method with the temensis. But in my mind, blackwater natural blackwater tannins is the best water for keeping cichla.

Sorry for your loss. Awesome fish and tank. I too am curious about whether you were adding liquid tannin extracts.
Damn! Sorry to hear. I suspect you were onto something with the blackwater theme but are you saying you just overdid it somehow? You mentioned bogwood and almond leaves but were you augmenting ph in any other ways? Apologies and i know very little about keeping cichla but the deaths seem so mysterious to me

bh_aquatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2020
IG @bh_aquatic
Just going to post everything related to the Pinimas in this thread. As you can tell the pinimas are loving the blackwater transformation. Their spangles pop out so much more. Going to be interesting to see how it effects their colors and health as they grow.

View attachment 1517332View attachment 1517333View attachment 1517334View attachment 1517335View attachment 1517336View attachment 1517338View attachment 1517339View attachment 1517340View attachment 1517341View attachment 1517342
Great photos

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store