Green Terror in 55-Gallon

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
As for the rest of the comments...I understand and see your points; I will analyze and compare them extensively.

I have a clear maximum limit in mind for fish in my tank, but I don't know everyone else's maximum limit. I learned various limits from various people, but I think this particular version makes sense; here it is: If the fish can turn around comfortably in the tank without the head or tail touching the sides, then the tank size is okay. I measured the width of my tank, which is about a foot long; I can push 11 if I want to, but my fish size limit is 10 inches, leaving plenty of space for a fish to turn around comfortably.

Could everyone else tell me their maximum fish size limit for a 55-gallon? That would help me more than debating what type of fish is appropriate because stating specific species is harder. There will be a different answer from everyone. At least half of y'all would say that a GT would be fine in a 55-gallon, but another half would say no less than 75. If I could get an average for the maximum size from everyone, then maybe I can work from that and find a fish that would be okay long-term in my tank.
6-7inch should be comfy.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Generally you will find people saying a fish should have twice its length to turn around in. For that reason, a fish for a 55 gallon shouldn’t be bigger than 6-7 inches full grown.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Could everyone else tell me their maximum fish size limit for a 55-gallon? That would help me more than debating what type of fish is appropriate because stating specific species is harder. There will be a different answer from everyone. At least half of y'all would say that a GT would be fine in a 55-gallon, but another half would say no less than 75. If I could get an average for the maximum size from everyone, then maybe I can work from that and find a fish that would be okay long-term in my tank.
my basic rule of thumb for max fish size is half the width or quarter the length of the tank which ever is smaller so a 55 at 13/14 inches wide can house a fish 6 or 7 inches long at adult size

Edit: everybody sniping me, come on!

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
So it looks like everyone who responded agreed on something around the 6-7 inch mark. Okay, that makes a lot more sense; now I understand why y'all keep telling me significantly smaller fish than I want. Lol. I will still stay around the 8-10-inch mark, but I will probably get something in the lower end. Probably a Jack Dempsey of some sort, maybe acaras or convicts, but they are not at the top.

Reactions: AR1

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
So it looks like everyone who responded agreed on something around the 6-7 inch mark.

I will still stay around the 8-10-inch mark
Yeah, I agree with that, lol. All the resources (and I've gone through a TON) said that a Green Terror can go in a 55-gallon. It would be better in something larger as any fish would be, but for me, I can't do anything larger than a 55.

Same story, different ID. Same scenario has played out here hundreds of times over the years. OP asks for advice, and when advice goes against what their personal wants/desires are, they ultimately do what they want. What a surprise.

BTW - I have seen an adult GT that was properly cared for reach 11", at which time it was sold. Who knows, had that level of care continued it may have reached 12". Not sure what the norm is for this species, but an adult male GT is a large, deep bodied fish, and certainly will never reach it's full potential in a 55. I don't care what all the idjits in your TON of resources stated. Such as I assume yourself, most of those resources have probably never kept a large cichlid such as a GT for its full life cycle, at least not what should be a normal or typical full life cycle. There's a reason what one rarely sees clown loaches that are 12-14" TL (I have), or Oscars the size of FINWIN FINWIN 's, or Amphilophus in the 14-15" range, like the almost 12 year old Midas that I currently own.

Size of the glass box, is just the beginning of providing proper care for your pet fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Same story, different ID. Same scenario has played out here hundreds of times over the years. OP asks for advice, and when advice goes against what their personal wants/desires are, they ultimately do what they want. What a surprise.

BTW - I have seen an adult GT that was properly cared for reach 11", at which time it was sold. Who knows, had that level of care continued it may have reached 12". Not sure what the norm is for this species, but an adult male GT is a large, deep bodied fish, and certainly will never reach it's full potential in a 55. I don't care what all the idjits in your TON of resources stated. Such as I assume yourself, most of those resources have probably never kept a large cichlid such as a GT for its full life cycle, at least not what should be a normal or typical full life cycle. There's a reason what one rarely sees clown loaches that are 12-14" TL (I have), or Oscars the size of FINWIN FINWIN 's, or Amphilophus in the 14-15" range, like the almost 12 year old Midas that I currently own.

Size of the glass box, is just the beginning of providing proper care for your pet fish.
Agree
I have seen GTs at 12", JDs at 10", and fire mouths the same, and clown loaches way over a foot..
I believe the reason they are seldom seen (as RD said) is lack of proper care and level of maintenance in tiny boxes little bigger than puddles
Most aquarists that follow generic fish keeping standards that are best delusional.
My particular obsession bugaboo is nitrate, where most standards OK 20 ppm.
Funny, I test waters wherever I collect cichlids and have yet to see "any" detectable nitrate levels .
IMG_6928.jpeg

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Also, what tank mates would be suitable in a 55-gallon? As usual, I'm holding on to my precious striped raph, but I'm wondering if I could stuff another type of catfish or another striped raph. I'm taking a gander that I can't put much in there with it since it will fill up most of the space, but I don't want just 1 or 2 fish if I can help it, even if 1 is an impressive glass buster.
That's the issue, which goes beyond fish size vs. tank size and needs to account for temperament and behavior. The smaller the tank the less tolerant something like a GT tends to be toward tankmates, especially other cichlids and especially after it gets some size to it and once it hits sexual maturity. Due largely to front to back dimensions, that threshold can be a good bit less for a 55 than a 75-- after you've had some bigger tanks your perspective will change, a 55 will seem small, like it does to most people here, and you'll be more conscious of its limitations. A couple of catfish could work, though that may depend on the particular GT, or you could temporarily house a small GT with a few other fish, but how rewarding will it be to ultimately either need to rehome your GT or the other fish?

Finally, what decor and lighting should be in the tank? I need something in there for my catfish, and I want the tank to look nice. Should I do a 3D background or some cool DIY project like that?
Only if the background sticks outside the tank, unless you were keeping small fish I wouldn't further narrow the dimensions of a 55 by inserting a 3D background.

Last edited:

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Ok, I think y'all have convinced me out of getting a Green Terror. Lol. Here is what I'm looking for:

I want personable fish that isn't just a "decoration" in a glass box.

I'm thinking about ditching cichlids completely and going with more exotic species. How many ropefish would y'all say I could fit in my tank? I've always liked those fish. Could I go with any bichir species? Maybe one elephant nose?

I remember many people have suggested butterfly fish in the past, but unfortunately, I can't do those because no store around me will special order, and I'm not ordering online.

Reactions: AR1

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If you want a personable small cichlid, you need to raise it the same way we do big cichlids. All by itself in a sufficient sized tank for it's final size. You will have to spend time with it several times a day to build the bond. Any tankmates will distract from the bond your building.

Get preferably a male Convict type or Acara depending on if you have hard or softer water. Give it some water surface coverage, some hides to get out of view. Soon enough you will have that wet puppy fish we all love.

Again the big part of this is you spending time with it. It won't get attached to you if you never spend the time. Put his tank right next to the couch you sit on all night streaming shows.

Put in the effort and little fry
20180901_095500.jpg
With time and care turn into
20210711_191016.jpg

That draw blood when you do tank maintenance and have to net train him just to clean...20200602_094959.jpg20190629_093543.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I agree that a big male convict is the best wet pet for that size tank. You could definitely do multiple fish with it, but as mentioned it becomes less of a wet pet that way. It will still be interactive even with other fish though, just not as much.
There are definitely bichirs for that size tank, you’d just be losing out on activity with them (not a worry if you aren’t looking for an active fish). I’m in no way a bichir expert so I can’t comment on number. All I can say is that if it were me, I wouldn’t max out on bichirs but instead do one senegal along with other tankmates.
Red wolf is still a great option, but it will not work out with many tankmates long term.
I know you don’t like small schooling fish, but most setups are incomplete without them, with the exception of fish that will eat them. Speaking from experience, a tank of just aggressive glassbangers is one of the most boring and stressful displays you can come up with (they are usually not active fish, and when they are it’s to fight each other).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store