Green Terror in 55-Gallon

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Before trying to guess on, and present stocking ideas.
Do a little research on the fish themselves.
These days, it's very simple to find out where that certain fish comes from, with one or 2 clicks, get its geographical location and the type water parameters they require, they almost immediately appear.

Lets say you like Uaru fernandenzyepezi (one of my favorites)
With one click I found
They come from the Rio Atabapo, and part of the Orinoco river in Venezuela, where the average pH is 5, and the average water temp is 84'F, and the water is almost always stained with tannins. There are little to no aquatic plants in the habitat, and substrate is sand. This Uaru shares habitat with Altum Angels, and Crenicichla regani, Heros, and some Satanoperca.

Even though I have always wanted to keep this species of Uaru,
with my water parameters, it would be a delusional exercise in futility.
Even though my tanks are normally tannin stained, and temps are correct,
my pH and water hardness are way too far out of line.
IMG_2049.jpegIMG_2023.jpegIMG_9878.jpeg6a58ef36-e414-4747-b1a5-6425efe9cbe2.jpeg
So in the interest of not torturing this cichlid species,
I refrain from keeping it.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Before trying to guess on, and present stocking ideas.
Do a little research on the fish themselves.
These days, it's very simple to find out where that certain fish comes from, with one or 2 clicks, get its geographical location and the type water parameters they require, they almost immediately appear.

Lets say you like Uaru fernandenzyepezi (one of my favorites)
With one click I found
They come from the Rio Atabapo, and part of the Orinoco river in Venezuela, where the average pH is 5, and the average water temp is 84'F, and the water is almost always stained with tannins. There are little to no aquatic plants in the habitat, and substrate is sand. This Uaru shares habitat with Altum Angels, and Crenicichla regani, Heros, and some Satanoperca.

Even though I have always wanted to keep this species of Uaru,
with my water parameters, it would be a delusional exercise in futility.
Even though my tanks are normally tannin stained, and temps are correct,
my pH and water hardness are way too far out of line.
View attachment 1527519View attachment 1527520View attachment 1527522View attachment 1527523
So in the interest of not torturing this cichlid species,
I refrain from keeping it.
Agreed. I've done research on most of the fish I've mentioned, and most of them have water parameters that would be fine in my aquarium.

I thought I would mention that I don't do wild-type fish unless the fish only breeds in the wild (like Striped Raphs). So if I got angelfish, for example, I wouldn't get the wild type; I would get the domestic-bred type, which are hardier and can go in harder/less specific water parameters.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I personally like the setup 2 a lot (assuming you go with the peacock or half banded eel). Mostly because I like spiny eels. They do need mostly frozen foods to stay well fed though (at least unless you can train it and see it eat). Loaches will be a schooling fish so any setup with just one isn’t great for the fish.
You’d actually be surprised how many fish you think are captive bred are actually wild caught. Most loaches are a good example if I’m not mistaken.
Despite being captive bred, that doesn’t change what millions of years of evolution say. The captive fish are more tolerant of varying params (but are less hardy in other aspects), but still are better off in their wild conditions.
Given your hard, high pH water, you would definitely be best off with only the most tolerant fish or fish found in the African Rift Lakes or Central America.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I personally like the setup 2 a lot (assuming you go with the peacock or half banded eel). Mostly because I like spiny eels. They do need mostly frozen foods to stay well fed though (at least unless you can train it and see it eat). Loaches will be a schooling fish so any setup with just one isn’t great for the fish.
You’d actually be surprised how many fish you think are captive bred are actually wild caught. Most loaches are a good example if I’m not mistaken.
Despite being captive bred, that doesn’t change what millions of years of evolution say. The captive fish are more tolerant of varying params (but are less hardy in other aspects), but still are better off in their wild conditions.
Given your hard, high pH water, you would definitely be best off with only the most tolerant fish or fish found in the African Rift Lakes or Central America.
Can multiple dojo loaches fit my tank?

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Also, is the Clown Loach idea doable? I really like clown loaches, and I think they would look good with various kinds of fish.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I don’t think 3 dojos is unreasonable for a 55, but that also depends on what they are kept with. I’m also in no way a loach expert so I would let others comment about that. CL’s are doable, but given the eventual size are not a long term option.
Do you like dojos and clowns for their size or behavior? If the latter, there are many smaller loaches that are similar but smaller (khuli sub for dojo and most Botias sub for clowns).

Reactions: Fishman Dave

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I don’t think 3 dojos is unreasonable for a 55, but that also depends on what they are kept with. I’m also in no way a loach expert so I would let others comment about that. CL’s are doable, but given the eventual size are not a long term option.
Do you like dojos and clowns for their size or behavior? If the latter, there are many smaller loaches that are similar but smaller (khuli sub for dojo and most Botias sub for clowns).
I like the Dojos and Clowns because of their coloration, size, and behavior. Clowns mostly for color and behavior, and Dojos for physical appearance and behavior.

I'm thinking I may lean towards Clowns because they have such a slow growth rate and such playful antics (like water puppies), I should be able to keep them for at least a few years (I'm assuming).

Reactions: Deadeye

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Of all the fish you've talked about on your many threads, dojo loaches are probably the best choice for your tank. You could have several in a 55, they rarely get more than 6 inches or so in length and are skinny fish, not aggressive and very chill, I'd go with 5-8 of them.

The clowns I haven't kept myself but they are slow growers, you would probably be fine for a few years with 3 or so, and often easy to find people wanting mid size ones. A safer long term option would be yoyo or striata loaches, both are fun and playful and entertaining and would be very happy in a group of 5 or 6.

In your size tank you could do like 5 dojo loaches, 5 yoyo or striata loacues, a group of tetras and a couple gouramis like you mentioned, and your raphael.

or 5 dojos, 5 yoyos, and a single midsize peaceful fish like a severum and a small school of danios, or midsize tetras, and yes still keep your raphael. Just do some research on the severums first, some types stay under 8 inches and some can hit 12

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
I thought one of the sub species stayed smaller, but maybe a rainbow or convict or somehting that tops around 6 or 7 inches would be better

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store