Green Terror in 55-Gallon

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How many senegals could I have?
Depends on how many other fish you want too.
I’d stick with one if you want a lot of other fish too (namely cichlids), but if it’s just as a centerpiece them you could do 2-3.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Ok how does this tank setup sound?:

1 Striped Raphael, 1 Featherfin Squeaker, 1 Short-body Green Terror, and 1 Platinum Senegal Bichir

I'm not certain about the shortbody green terror but...

An alternative is a school of silver dollars. Is there anything colorful I can put in? I wanted to do Angels but I think they would be too delicate to put with a bichir.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Could I do a few blood parrots? Or is there a peacock bass that can go in a 55 gallon long term?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The thing about short bodied fish is they don’t know they are, so they tend to use the same space as a regular (and produce the same amount of waste).
I wouldn’t do more than one bp in that size for territorial reasons.
Definitely no pbass in that size tank.
Rather than silver dollars, I’d look at some of the larger bodied tetras. Same general behavior but smaller (but not too small to be food), less skittish (silvers tend to hurt themselves in smaller tanks), and more colorful.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Could I do a few blood parrots? Or is there a peacock bass that can go in a 55 gallon long term?
Blood parrots and peacock bass grow too large for a 55g. Smaller peacock bass such as the kelberi still grow up to sizes of a rough gauge 16-20 inches if kept properly.

it would be hard to find a shortbody green terror or platinum bichir in America, if I were you I would stick to a normal or albino Senegal, mokelembembe bichir, and just a suggestion, Congo tetras

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
No feather fin, I did the same in a 55 and it was just to small for it. I wouldn’t do any silver dollars because of how skittish they are and Definitely no bass. Blood parrots are also a no.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Blood parrots and peacock bass grow too large for a 55g. Smaller peacock bass such as the kelberi still grow up to sizes of a rough gauge 16-20 inches if kept properly.

it would be hard to find a shortbody green terror or platinum bichir in America, if I were you I would stick to a normal or albino Senegal, mokelembembe bichir, and just a suggestion, Congo tetras
I like congo tetras. Platinum bichirs aren't that rare, I've found some at a Texas guy-owned exotic fish shop for around 100 (they are on discount rn, it's not because they're bad quality or anything).

I thought that y'all were nuts for saying that a Blood parrot or two couldn't go in a 55, but I forgot that y'all have a smaller size limit than I do lol. I have, by the way, changed it to a more reasonable size. I going for 6-8 inches, 8 inches being max. It used to be 10 inches max...I'm stubbornly growing in the right direction a little bit lol.

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store