Green Terror in 55-Gallon

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
What Pike cichlid species are there that can fit in a 55-gallon? I preferably want a colorful one and a medium-sized one (I've heard of them being around the 3-4 inches mark; I would prefer the 6-8-inch mark). Can you keep them with a Senegal bichir and a catfish or two?

Lucifer0411

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2022
I would have thought even for a GT as an adult a 75G min.
For one oscar 125G min.

I know not your preference but you could possibly have one pair of Convicts or a pair of Ellioti which only grows to about 5 inches.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I would have thought even for a GT as an adult a 75G min.
For one oscar 125G min.

I know not your preference but you could possibly have one pair of Convicts or a pair of Ellioti which only grows to about 5 inches.
Yeah the Oscar and Green Terror ideas I'm going to through the window lol. I'm seriously thinking about a pair of convicts...I don't belive I know about the Ellioti.

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
Many smaller species of cichlids that you can house as a pair. Many already mentioned such as cryptoheros species, smaller jewel cichlids, kribs and smaller acara species to name a few. Three spot gourami also a good choice. Can house with large body tetras or barbs. So many options and no reason to purchase fish that grow too large or outgrow your tank.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
55 gallon would give you alot of choices of african cichlids also. I'm running a julidochromis and Calvus 55 with plants now and am really liking it.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Are there any African cichlids appropriate to be with a bichir or two? I want a bichir badly, much more so than more cichlids, but if there are some Africans or SA/CA that can go into my tank long-term, I would consider the idea. Some of y'all have mentioned that Africans can't go with Bichirs. Is that really true?

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Also, how many bichirs can I have if I have 1 Striped Raphael Catfish and a Pictus? I'm assuming just one, but I wanted to ask anyways lol.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I have kept Senegal Bichirs with Male Peacocks and not had any issues. As always make sure they are to big for the Bichir to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store