The Red Devil Diary

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
I was taken from my home without any warning, after I had tried to rip this person’s finger off for even daring to enter my territory. He was lucky that this invisible force field was between us or that would have been the end of him! I saw black for 30 minutes, and now I’m suddenly in this new environment. Nothing else seems to be in this territory, so I will claim it as mine.

Hey all, finally back in the hobby (for good this time) and I got a young Labiatus for my 125. He’s probably 4 inches or so, a nice size. He was the only one tryna flare at my finger and I loved that. Very confident fish. The first paragraph I thought would be funny as it’s in his “POV”. Maybe I’ll do more of that? Who knows:ROFL:

Figured I’d go with Kratos as a name? Think he’s a male but I’m not sure, we’ll see as he grows. Anyway I’ll be providing constant updates on him! Pics aren’t the best but I’ll get better ones later or tomorrow.

DAC94D7F-D228-4C06-8B13-C0946E5B230F.jpeg

IMG_9452.jpeg

IMG_9453.jpeg

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
UPDATE:

1 hour in and he’s more active. The school of Serpae Tetras has brought him out of his shell a bit, which is exactly what I hoped for. Still a bit skittish but he’s now swimming all 6 feet of the tank as opposed to only staying in one corner and glass surfing for the first 15 minutes. Dropped a pellet in and he picked at it but didn’t eat it but that’s to be expected as well, he might take a few days to be comfortable with eating.

Good news is that his color is back (more intense orange) and he flares at me now and then when I put my finger/hand at the tank, so he’s getting his confidence back now. Can’t wait to see this guy grow.

• Love
Reactions: Matth05 and Jexnell

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
UPDATE:
He’s settled in nicely, still not eating the pellets but he is going after them, just spits them out after 4-5 tries. Maybe they’re too big? He’s 4-5 inches but the pellets are like 3-3.5mm, I think he should be able to eat it. He goes after flakes as well. Not a big eater but that’s to be expected, hopefully by the end of the week he settles in. I was thinking internal parasites but his poop is fine, so it shows that he’s ate and he was the only non skittish Labiatus there, so I think he’s just adjusting to his surroundings.

He’s not shy of me but any sudden movements sends him into one of the clay pots. I’m glad to see he’s using them now cause last night he was ignoring them all lol. Surprisingly isn’t scared of the camera and is already flaring at my hand. In love with this guy already, I just hope he eats. It’s not like he’s scared to eat in front of me since he goes after the food as soon as I drop them in. Any ideas on what it could be? I think it’s cause they’re too big and too hard. Next feeding I’ll try soaking them or I’ll try crushing one or 2 pellets and see if that works. Anyway here’s some pics, sorry about the glare. Love how he has trailers already at such a young age!

IMG_9461.jpeg

IMG_9462.jpeg

IMG_9464.jpeg

IMG_9466.jpeg

IMG_9465.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Matth05 and Jexnell

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Can’t edit my post for some reason so I’ll just write another comment, could it be that he just doesn’t like the food? I think that’s the most likely possibility now, not the size of the pellets.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
UPDATE:
So I figured that Kratos actually dislikes the pellets and prefers the flakes that I use to feed the tetras, went for them immediately. Already some waste in some spots so next water change I’ll have to get all of those out. Anyway here’s a couple more pics. Absolutely in love with his trailers.

IMG_9471.jpeg

IMG_9484.jpeg

IMG_9480.jpeg

IMG_9485.jpeg

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
He's got great finnage lookin forward to seeing him grow buddy
Thanks, he really does and me too. Pics aren’t the best cause of all that glare and I need to replace the light so when that happens the pics will be miles better.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
A couple pointers for good pics. Wait till it's dark outside, and turn off all the lights in the room as the tank, with only the tank light on.

Good looking Amphilophus, can't wait to see him all grown up.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
A couple pointers for good pics. Wait till it's dark outside, and turn off all the lights in the room as the tank, with only the tank light on.

Good looking Amphilophus, can't wait to see him all grown up.
I’ll keep that in mind, thanks Jexnell and yeah he’s a little beauty!

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Doing those couple steps, waiting till dark and turning off the lights takes away all the glare and reflections. So you get clear pics of said fish.

20210116_183635.jpg

See, no glare, no reflections. Just clear picture of Casper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store