The Red Devil Diary

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Kratos was just doing a taste test of you versus the pellets! Rule of thumb (or pinkie) is when a toothy cichlid is checking you out, they are CHECKING YOU OUT.

Sounds like that tank's gone to the devil already...:devil:

• Haha
Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Kratos was just doing a taste test of you versus the pellets! Rule of thumb (or pinkie) is when a toothy cichlid is checking you out, they are CHECKING YOU OUT.

Sounds like that tank's gone to the devil already...:devil:
No doubt, I thought I’d be worried about him tagging me when he got to 6-7 inches, but not during his first water change. Little guy got me and was like “welcome to hell buddy” lmao.

Jexnell Jexnell

I’m curious to know at what size Casper started tagging you cause I know he got you good a lot of times 🤣

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
It started when he was around 3 to 4 in, mostly only when fry were in the tank.20190215_121024.jpg
At the time I called them tickle nipples. It wasn't till around 8in or so when he and his mouth had the size and teeth to to actually draw blood.
20200602_094959.jpg

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
It started when he was around 3 to 4 in, mostly only when fry were in the tank.View attachment 1543637
At the time I called them tickle nipples. It wasn't till around 8in or so when he and his mouth had the size and teeth to to actually draw blood.
View attachment 1543638
Tickle nipples is hilarious lmao.

Yeah no doubt, Amphilophus species may have smaller mouths and shorter teeth than the Parachromis family but they have stronger jaws (likely at similar or equal sizes) I’ve heard.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I think it more so breaks down upon who we are talking about.
Citrinellus "Midas" are know to me more of an ambush predator. Hiding close to the river banks amongst the rocks waiting for a victim to swim by.
Labiatus "Red Devils" are more of a suckerfish with the big lips scraping algea all day
Saggitae are an open water hunter. Living out in the open parts of lakes having to chase down its food.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
I think it more so breaks down upon who we are talking about.
Citrinellus "Midas" are know to me more of an ambush predator. Hiding close to the river banks amongst the rocks waiting for a victim to swim by.
Labiatus "Red Devils" are more of a suckerfish with the big lips scraping algea all day
Saggitae are an open water hunter. Living out in the open parts of lakes having to chase down its food.
I always thought that open water hunters and piscivores would have huge mouths and long teeth built for gripping fish no? Like Dovii and Managuense.

Reactions: Matth05

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
One would think so. But they got it done with lots of small sharp teeth. Any pictures of them from the wild are the same. Out in the open portions of water near a some rocks as it's base of operations. Maybe that's why Casper always dug pits right by the rocks.

download-2.jpeg

Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Another day another update, I don’t wanna be spamming this thread so I’ll mostly be doing updates once a day or once every 2 days now, unless something happens of course.
Kratos is doing amazing now, very bold and is eating like a pig. He now goes for the pellets first and then tries to eat the tetra flakes, greedy lil mofo lol.

Little shoutout to the Serpae Tetras for doing their job as well. They might be my favorite tetra species now. Great schooling fish, I love them so much I think I’ll get a couple more to make a school of 8-10 and since they do better in large groups to avoid bullying. I bought 6 but one died. He either got picked on or either Kratos murked him. I think the latter is unlikely because I’ve never seen him pay them any attention. Couple more pics for you guys.

IMG_9524.jpeg

IMG_9527.jpeg

IMG_9529.jpeg

IMG_9534.jpeg

IMG_9530.jpeg

IMG_9531.jpeg

IMG_9533.jpeg

Reactions: Matth05 and FINWIN

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
A couple pics of Kratos on a rainy day. Probably one of the boldest cichlids I’ve owned, especially at such a size like this. Hard to take good photos of him when he can’t stop moving and begging for food but if I dare put my hand in the tank he prepares for war lol. What a character. He has also bulked up a little. Curious to find out what his growth rate will be like, maybe close to an inch a month in ideal conditions? I’ve heard they’re fast growers so I think he can match my female O and Buttikoferi in growth rate.

IMG_9546.jpeg

IMG_9544.jpeg

IMG_9551.jpeg

IMG_9553.jpeg

IMG_9554.jpeg

IMG_9555.jpeg

IMG_9556.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Matth05 and Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com