Two 17"-18" Murray cods, 2 year old

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
YT: Gil334 • Murray cod are the most long-lived freshwater native fish in Australia. The oldest Murray cod aged yet was 48 years of age, and the even larger specimens of years past leave little doubt that the species can reach considerably greater ages, of 70 years or more. Murray cod are capable of growing well over 1 m (3.3 ft) in length and the largest on record was over 1.8 m (5.9 ft) and about 113 kg (249 lb) in weight!

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Unexplained loss. Thought there could be a physical obstruction to eating but non found. Grew from 3" to 7" in 6 months, eating well only for 5 months or less.

Sorry to hear Vik, my condolences with you. My cod has grown substantially, but in an u heated 68 degree tank. I hope we can figure out what has happened!!!!

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
YT:

joao_b210 wish all the best for the other Murray cod man. I have fished Murrays for a few years now, they're really incredible fish, i can't wait to see yours as a monster.

Fish-Story Thank you for your support and good vibe. What makes the incredible in your eyes? A challenge, power, smarts? ... Life is funny, in 2015 I knew 10x less than now and those 2 first cod lived well 2 years and reached 1.5ft. in 2024 it's already 1 for 2 half a year later.

joao_b210 Yes, they are a very smart fish, the way they "camouflage" on different environment waiting to ambush something below or on top of the water. Watching or feeling that is the best! I won't say they are "crazy powerful", but they do get very big as you know. The love is more on the strike! I will check the Channel to see if you have any footage of the other 2. And no stress man, that 1 that you have will be inside the monster predator tank, top water blowing up feeding in no time

Fish-Story Thank you. I wish I had your confidence. Good to hear thoughts of someone who angles for them in the wild. So you are saying they prefer to prey on things near or at the surface?

joao_b210 they bite on the surface more in the morning and evening, not so much through the middle of the day. but you can catch them in so many ways using things like cheese or chicken nuggets. I would say they definitely scavenge and hunt at the same time.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Game over. I am done trying. 2 tries 2 fish each, one in 2015-2017, second in 2023-2024. Same result. 4 dead cod.

I conclude 80F is deadly. Probable safe max maybe 75F. Wes says the Taiwan farmer says 86F is still okay. Bad disagreement.

9 inches. 8 months old.

Reactions: surfermike915

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Game over. I am done trying. 2 tries 2 fish each, one in 2015-2017, second in 2023-2024. Same result. 4 dead cod.

I conclude 80F is deadly. Probable safe max maybe 75F. Wes says the Taiwan farmer says 86F is still okay. Bad disagreement.

9 inches. 8 months old.

Vik, this is a low blow. I’m sorry. I would not like to see you be done though. I really hope we can understand why this happened and how to prevent this. I think these 2, they looked though they’re targeted by the same death, which was high temps. Breathing heavily is a sign of their body trying rapidly to almost cool down although that’s “scientifically” not true. I do not want to see you not try at least one more time. If you wouldn’t mind, I’d love to buy cod for you next time or getting a chiller, I think what you do is amazing, so if I or anyone can help any way we’d love to.

• Love

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia

9 inches. 8 months old.

Vik, this is a low blow. I’m sorry. I would not like to see you be done though. I really hope we can understand why this happened and how to prevent this. I think these 2, they looked though they’re targeted by the same death, which was high temps. Breathing heavily is a sign of their body trying rapidly to almost cool down although that’s “scientifically” not true. I do not want to see you not try at least one more time. If you wouldn’t mind, I’d love to buy cod for you next time or getting a chiller, I think what you do is amazing, so if I or anyone can help any way we’d love to.
Yeah 100% was temps. They just don’t liken it hot. Warm for that matter. They stress easily as well so you’ve probably got the two biggest killers up against them.
Calling bull on old mate about them being okay at 30. Maybe for a couple of days but not much longer than that.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Yeah 100% was temps. They just don’t liken it hot. Warm for that matter. They stress easily as well so you’ve probably got the two biggest killers up against them.
Calling bull on old mate about them being okay at 30. Maybe for a couple of days but not much longer than that.
I don’t let mine get above 72. I gotta say Wes was wrong on this one.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I don’t let mine get above 72. I gotta say Wes was wrong on this one.
Yeah i haven't ever heard of cod being kept that warm. Hatcheries here breed at 20 C. 24 is about the max i've heard of.
It's like putting petrol in a diesel car. It'll work for a little bit but it'll end it disaster.

• Love
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store