More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
What the heck are you feeding these things!?
They get a variety of sinking/floating pellets from Ken's, Hikari, and Aquatic Foods. I mix combinations of pellets from protein to green (spirulina) and rotate. They also get crushed insects as a treat. I use a mortar and pestle to grind 'em up. All my tanks have lots of aeration and oxygenation affects growth. I try to provide a jungle type environment they can explore and hide in. They don't like the open! It stresses them and they fight too much. A trick I did with success was stagger plant coverage to get them all off the floor. I would straggle vines from the surface on down. The fish would nest in every little spot and give each other space. If you don't do this they will all stay at the bottom like magnets getting on each other's nerves. I'm going to be doing a minor rescape of the 125 soon anyway.

Adults and even sub adults only get one meal per day, and one skip day. When the tank was too crowded they got fed every 2 days. With these honduran redpoints I notice they don't seem prone to stunting at all. As soon as conditions change they meet their max potential. Or if a fish suppressing another is removed it gets huge size gain in a short time. The giant males all followed the same pattern: steady growth rate then at just over a year an explosion.

I believe my smallest female is Nix...she's barely 2 inches.

Reactions: phreeflow

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
They get a variety of sinking/floating pellets from Ken's, Hikari, and Aquatic Foods. I mix combinations of pellets from protein to green (spirulina) and rotate. They also get crushed insects as a treat. I use a mortar and pestle to grind 'em up. All my tanks have lots of aeration and oxygenation affects growth. I try to provide a jungle type environment they can explore and hide in. They don't like the open! It stresses them and they fight too much. A trick I did with success was stagger plant coverage to get them all off the floor. I would straggle vines from the surface on down. The fish would nest in every little spot and give each other space. If you don't do this they will all stay at the bottom like magnets getting on each other's nerves. I'm going to be doing a minor rescape of the 125 soon anyway.

Adults and even sub adults only get one meal per day, and one skip day. When the tank was too crowded they got fed every 2 days. With these honduran redpoints I notice they don't seem prone to stunting at all. As soon as conditions change they meet their max potential. Or if a fish suppressing another is removed it gets huge size gain in a short time. The giant males all followed the same pattern: steady growth rate then at just over a year an explosion.

I believe my smallest female is Nix...she's barely 2 inches.
Sounds like you got it down to a science

Reactions: FINWIN

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Update on Buddy the hrp. He's still in the treatment bucket. Slime coat looks a bit excessive and now has cloudy eyes. Not sure if the meds/salt are irritating causing this? He gets fresh water each day but tonight I didn't put in any meds, just a pinch of salt. Deadeye Deadeye , should I cycle him off the meds for a day or two? The rotted part of his tail is now gone so it looks like its been munched on. He seems relaxed and tucks up under his silk plant.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Update on Buddy the hrp. He's still in the treatment bucket. Slime coat looks a bit excessive and now has cloudy eyes. Not sure if the meds/salt are irritating causing this? He gets fresh water each day but tonight I didn't put in any meds, just a pinch of salt. Deadeye Deadeye , should I cycle him off the meds for a day or two? The rotted part of his tail is now gone so it looks like its been munched on. He seems relaxed and tucks up under his silk plant.
Is he in the bucket with any other fish to attack the fins, or do you mean the infection is eating at it?
Personally, I wouldn’t stop treatment until the fish either dies or is healed. Anything else and you can risk the bacteria building a resistance.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Is he in the bucket with any other fish to attack the fins, or do you mean the infection is eating at it?
Personally, I wouldn’t stop treatment until the fish either dies or is healed. Anything else and you can risk the bacteria building a resistance.
He's alone in the bucket. The missing tail is the rotted /infected part he shed off. I'll resume the treatment. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making it worse. Bucket isn't heated.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
He's alone in the bucket. The missing tail is the rotted /infected part he shed off. I'll resume the treatment. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making it worse. Bucket isn't heated.
Post some pics of him currently.
Sometimes fish can look worse during treatment before they look better.
I just did some digging, salt and malachite green are said to be a toxic combination. Depending on what your salt concentration is at, it could be reacting with the meds.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Post some pics of him currently.
Sometimes fish can look worse during treatment before they look better.
I just did some digging, salt and malachite green are said to be a toxic combination. Depending on what your salt concentration is at, it could be reacting with the meds.
omg I'll stop the salt.
Will post a pic of Buddy. Right now most of the 'fluff' is on one side . One eye is clear now. Another small piece of the stuff came off with his fresh water today.

Reactions: Deadeye

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Here are pics of Buddy. He just got a fresh treatment half an hour ago. One eye appears to have cleared and the other is getting there. The white fluff chips off with each water change. The large chunk missing from his tail is where the rotted part fell off. Smaller pieces fell from his trailers. He kept moving around a lot when I took his vine and air stone out for the pictures. Once I put it all back he dove under his vine and settled in. No heater.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Jexnell and Deadeye

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
And now to Buddy's mom...

I was attempting to remove Bella from the 225 today as she's done a personality flip and is now annoying the rainbow Salt. I caught Pip by mistake so I figured to measure her.

Here's Pip. At nearly 5 years, this middle aged gal is still hot stuff! With approximately 800 descendants her legacy is secure! I'm always amazed at her undertones and rainbow colors when she's out of the water. It explains a lot of the color combinations in her offspring.

She's still growing too, although at a snail's pace. Last measured at 4 1/4" she's now 4 1/2". Very independent and has no interest in breeding any more. (Not that I'm complaining).

PIP.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Here are pics of Buddy. He just got a fresh treatment half an hour ago. One eye appears to have cleared and the other is getting there. The white fluff chips off with each water change. The large chunk missing from his tail is where the rotted part fell off. Smaller pieces fell from his trailers. He kept moving around a lot when I took his vine and air stone out for the pictures. Once I put it all back he dove under his vine and settled in. No heater.

View attachment 1545188

View attachment 1545189

View attachment 1545190
He does look rough, but I’m glad to hear it’s clearing up. I’d just keep the current course and hope for the best.

Impressive to hear about pip. That’s about where my female convict is sitting (maybe a bit larger). I was always under the impression that hrp were smaller than cons, but your group is a bunch of beasts.

Reactions: FINWIN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store