Iridescent shark tank size?

AnomalocarisAquatics

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
I'm looking to get a ~2300gal pond. Today I went to my local grocery store. At the seafood section, they had pretty large iridescent sharks on sale - about 10 inches for the smallest and 12 inches for the biggest. They sell them so you can cook them, but for 2 dollars, I instead want to keep them. Heres a few questions on iridescent sharks:

1. Basic care: water paramaters, feeding, etc.
2. Tank size for a single iridescent shark
3. Tank size for 5 Iridescents (because I heard they school)
4. Can my pond fit 5 Iridescents?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
For basic needs, I'd refer you to any and all the online profiles of this widely kept fish. I'd add they are skittish and have dangerous spines.

IDS we get in the aquarium trade are of poor genes, they are culls from food fish farms. Perhaps they should be of better genes at a food store like you describe. They should reach around 2 feet in 1 year, 2.5ft in 2-3 years, 3ft in 5+ years. IDK how long for 3.5ft or 4ft or if it is possible at all for a hobbyist.

They need footprint rather than depth.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I have a pair of albino that show little interest in growing, little interest in eating, are happy to mope about and have grown from 2” to 7” in probably 9 months. They go loony when I do water changes, go loony if anything changes ing the tank, go loony if I enter too fast, go loony if I look at them the wrong way. At this rate I don’t ever think they will be big enough or bold enough to move to my pond. They would just be fish food there. Hopefully the ones you get are of better genes and less freaky by nature. I would think 5 would be good for a number of years although if they are better genes and do reach their potential, even one could get cramped at full size (doubt this will happen).

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

AnomalocarisAquatics

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
Thank you for all the information. I think though, I have a change of plans. Can 2 Giant Mekong Catfish and 1 Redtail Catfish fit it this pond I would like to buy? I just remembered my friend has a 55 gallon with 2 20 inch pangasius species catfish, of which I assume them to be Pangasianodon gigas, they are fairly common here. The last time I went to this friend's house, I couldn't bear to look at it. Also, another friend of mine bought a redtail catfish saying he only wanted to keep it for a while then rehome it. He has a pond but it's nowhere big enough for a redtail. This friend is quite a beginner at freshwater. His dad showed him fishkeeping at a young age, for his dad had a discus tank in their house. Later on though, my friend decided he wanted saltwater fish and not freshwater. All his saltwater tanks are perfectly stocked, but he saw an RTC and immidiately fell in love with it. He consulted me for help, because I kept freshwater fish, and I told him he could only keep his RTC for about a year or less.

Can 2 Mekong Giant Catfish fit in my pond?
Can 1 RTC fit in my pond?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
True MGC seem rare even in Asia. What are the dimensions of your 2300 gal pond?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Sorry, it was the answer to can 2 Mekong giant catfish fit in your pond. I would have no issue it being suitable for irredescent for a good number of years, even life, but Mekong giant catfish is a completely different proposition
I also would have no issue with a redtail cat in there for life, it’s bigger than many folks try to keep them in. Obviously bigger is better, but if you are re homing a fish that is cramped already then good on you.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store