More tank pics, updated

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Hrp Buddy rolls on!

The redness is fading. He's still patchy and peeling but swimming around! He along with my blood parrot Patch are the two toughest and most resilient fish I've ever had. Hopefully Buddy will have a better outcome and I'm encouraged.

I use the Kordon Fish Protector as part of his treatment and I can't recommend it enough. He perks up and starts moving around more almost immediately after dosage, so it must be soothing.

Here's Buddy's schedule:

AM fresh water, Prime, Kordon (wait one hour) add Polyguard
PM repeat

Dim or no lighting
Aeration
Silk plant for hiding/resting

I have discovered Polyguard fuses into a plastic lump with the slightest moisture. So I've had to pour water into the container, shake, and pour it out as liquid. The liquid will look clear but turns blue after a while.

updates ongoing. Here's the Kordon I use. You can go over dosage no harm. I use a full cap in Buddy's bucket. In encourages slime coat production for healing and is a topical binder for medicine.

1720706756294.png

Reactions: Deadeye

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Taken this morning. Each treatment he sloughs off a bunch of slime and it looks like a snow globe in the bucket. Pink areas fading. Concerned if he goes too long without eating. Buddy comes up to greet but I can see his strength is off now.

bud 2.jpg

bud 1.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Meanwhile Mongo's grandson Brutus photobombs from below. Up above is young Deuce, another grandson of Mongo and half brother to Brutus. Mongo and Stripey continue on, oblivious to everything else.

squabble 2.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Here's Arrow, another son out of Slade/Speck and sibling to the pink mob. Started off as a plain pink fish with no markings and has blossomed. Gets his fin coloration from his mother Speck. This is a trait also shared by other siblings Harlequin, Ace and Mica. Caught him the other day fertilizing eggs in a log but I took care of that quick. Has become pretty aggressive with maturity.

arrow 2.jpg

arrow.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Got off work. Probably gonna lose Buddy...he's at the bottom with his belly turning white. I'm sick of losing favorite fish. 4 since March. It's fckn depressing now. I'm almost at the point where I don't trust any meds or treatments. There's nothing worse than false hope when a fish appears to be improving and then goes the other way.

Not a whole lot else to say. This journal has always been about the whole fishkeeping experience both good and bad. Had enough of the bad to last me from here on out. Need some positive energy for a freaking change.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Bummer. I hope he makes it; if not...these things happen. Life goes on.

I know how depressing it is to lose fish...and I'm nowhere near as emotionally invested in them as I think you are. Most of mine don't even have names.

Best wishes, and good luck.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Bummer. I hope he makes it; if not...these things happen. Life goes on.

I know how depressing it is to lose fish...and I'm nowhere near as emotionally invested in them as I think you are. Most of mine don't even have names.

Best wishes, and good luck.
This is a drag, not gonna lie. Just a bad, bad run. I always named everything even people...I've given out nicknames like candy. I usually name fish for identification purposes first. But just because I name them all doesn't mean I care equally. I've named fish I could care less about.

Mamacita, Pee Wee, Boo, Bay-bay, Pie, Mooky, Ree, Ay-shawn, and Bibbles are nicknames I've given family members. They all answer to them. All grown like me.

Hrp Buddy is on life support after swimming around freely this morning. One damn extreme to the other. If he goes he goes, but I refuse to help it along. I figure 2-3 hours at the most right now. I'm bad at assisted killing. Did it once, never again. Almost wish I could be cold about it (would make this easier) but I'm not wired that way.

I figure there's four types of fish a keeper has:

1. Fish you have 'just because'. Not much to it other than that. You'll take care of them but not care a whole lot about them.
2. "Nice" fish that you like but have no special feeling about. They're just interesting or pleasant to have.
3. "Favorite" fish you've grown accustomed to and care what happens to them.
4. "Special" or unique fish that go beyond regular boundaries. Amazing personalities and/or smarts. The get under your skin type.

I think most would agree there's less connection getting a grown fish vs one you raise. Of course there are exceptions to everything. And feelings can change about a particular fish over time.

On a lighter, funny note: I mentioned Outlaw Baby, a tiny pink fry that escaped the latest purge. To my amazement two other tiny striped fry popped up tonight in the 125. More escapees...these would be fry from Mongo/Nix.

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
This is a drag, not gonna lie. Just a bad, bad run. I always named everything even people...I've given out nicknames like candy. I usually name fish for identification purposes first. But just because I name them all doesn't mean I care equally. I've named fish I could care less about.

Mamacita, Pee Wee, Boo, Bay-bay, Pie, Mooky, Ree, Ay-shawn, and Bibbles are nicknames I've given family members. They all answer to them. All grown like me.

Hrp Buddy is on life support after swimming around freely this morning. One damn extreme to the other. If he goes he goes, but I refuse to help it along. I figure 2-3 hours at the most right now. I'm bad at assisted killing. Did it once, never again. Almost wish I could be cold about it (would make this easier) but I'm not wired that way.

I figure there's four types of fish a keeper has:

1. Fish you have 'just because'. Not much to it other than that. You'll take care of them but not care a whole lot about them.
2. "Nice" fish that you like but have no special feeling about. They're just interesting or pleasant to have.
3. "Favorite" fish you've grown accustomed to and care what happens to them.
4. "Special" or unique fish that go beyond regular boundaries. Amazing personalities and/or smarts. The get under your skin type.

I think most would agree there's less connection getting a grown fish vs one you raise. Of course there are exceptions to everything. And feelings can change about a particular fish over time.

On a lighter, funny note: I mentioned Outlaw Baby, a tiny pink fry that escaped the latest purge. To my amazement two other tiny striped fry popped up tonight in the 125. More escapees...these would be fry from Mongo/Nix.
I’m really Hoping buddy makes it through. And also, finally someone else who names all of there fish lol. Every. Single. One. I own had/had some kind of name lol. And yes I would agree fish you raise your self usually make it to that special or favorite tier of fish. Good luck to buddy.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I’m really Hoping buddy makes it through. And also, finally someone else who names all of there fish lol. Every. Single. One. I own had/had some kind of name lol. And yes I would agree fish you raise your self usually make it to that special or favorite tier of fish. Good luck to buddy.
Sadly he didn't make it. Went soon after my last post. I've learned that once the body changes color suddenly they go very fast. He just kept shedding constantly for about three days but appeared to be healing...eyes were clearing up too. Would come up and greet me. Hours later he was at the bottom belly up so I knew it was coming quickly. He couldn't right himself. The excessive shedding was unbelievable. The bucket literally looked like a snow globe each treatment. Never had a fish do that before.

The other fish in the 125 appear to be ok with no issues. I have no understanding of what happened with Buddy yesterday.

The bucket he was in got tossed. I'm not a superstitious sort but 3 out of the last 4 losses have occurred with that bucket. Plus I see no need to clean/de-stain/disinfect it. Buckets are cheap. I find myself losing enthusiasm right now. Still have plans moving forward but its tough constantly trying to 'reset'.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store