What canister filter should I buy?

Zeon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2023
IMG_6682.pngIMG_6681.pngIMG_6680.pngIMG_6679.png
I have a 40g breeder (45g) kinda heavy stocked with dirty American cichlids. I had 2 hob filters but one broke and I want to get a canister filter ( I have to for other reasons also so please don’t try to convince me not to lol) what do you think is the best to pair with a hob? Thanks! I’m not a budget and don’t want to deal with another sub sun filter
Also I’m open to suggestions

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
The only one you've listed that I've used personally is the Aqueon QuietFlow. Currently got one running on my 8ft 135gal...had it 2-3 years now. Haven't had any issues with it at all and I'd say it's decent. Not my fav, but I like it and it's been reliable and keeps my tank super clear.

You'll probably get a bunch of FX4 or FX6 recommendations...personally, I think they're highly over rated. Decent filter, but massively overpriced and not THAT much better than filters half or a third of the price. And my least favorite when I have ti pull it apart to clean.

Currently my preference is the Penn Plax Cascade canisters. I've got 4 in various sizes currently running, out of 6 total canister filters on my tanks.

Reactions: triiiangle and Zeon

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I use the marineland one, it’s a pain to clean but it does a good job. As long as you have something like the hob to add aeration you’ll be good.

Best thing you can do to help is thin out the cichlid stocking though…

Reactions: Zeon

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I've used alot of canisters and always end up replacing them with fluvals. They are expensive, but I've found canisters are one of the you get what you pay for parts. If you go with the Sicce please let us know how it goes. I love their pumps and the Tidal HOB filters have been the best I've had by far.

Reactions: Deadeye and Zeon

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'd like to offer an alternative view
I stopped using cans over 20 years ago, because they are are often, un-user friendly to clean, and thus tend degrade water quality, in the nitrate range.
And at the same time, if cleaned as often as a filter should be, tend to fall apart.
To me
If a hang on back if cleaned regularly (say twice per week) it is a much better option, than a more expensive can if only cleaned once per month, where nitrate build up is concerned.

4D3

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
The only one you've listed that I've used personally is the Aqueon QuietFlow. Currently got one running on my 8ft 135gal...had it 2-3 years now. Haven't had any issues with it at all and I'd say it's decent. Not my fav, but I like it and it's been reliable and keeps my tank super clear.

You'll probably get a bunch of FX4 or FX6 recommendations...personally, I think they're highly over rated. Decent filter, but massively overpriced and not THAT much better than filters half or a third of the price. And my least favorite when I have ti pull it apart to clean.

Currently my preference is the Penn Plax Cascade canisters. I've got 4 in various sizes currently running, out of 6 total canister filters on my tanks.
Cfs is a rip off of the FX range at 1/4 of the price....... Exactly the same functionality, only difference is the FX6 is about the size of a regular bucket, the comparable Cfs Odysea unit is close to a meter tall!

Cfs has much cheaper parts, hoses and the motor vibrates.

I do not agree with your "over priced" statement, there is a reason Ehime 2262, 2260, FX5 and FX6 are regarded as the absolute best canisters.......

Maybe your issue is you wallet? I have a 1000l tank running 1 eheim 2262 (chemo) , 1 FX 6 (mech), and a Cfs which I modded to be a moving bed.

The Ehime Pro series is garbage as there is lots of bypass.

I own all of these filters and your comment is totally invalid.

Earn more money and buy more expensive filters..... That's like saying a Ford can compete with a Lamborgini...

End of the day if you can afford the best, buy it! If you cannot afford this price of canister, simple solution that will be infinitely better than any canister......

Set up a sump..... You could easily build a sump for the price of the Cfs Odysea, that will easily out perform the Ehime 2262,which to my mind the the absolute god of canister filters.

Top of the line filters are not over priced, they are priced because of quality and function, if you buy a cheap copy, prepare for seals to blow and a flooded lounge lol

• Haha
Reactions: Sinister-Kisses

4D3

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
As a side note, out of the filters you show, without a doubt, the CFS, it is an FX 5 replica and it will out perform those other canister purely on the fact that the Odyssey has zero baskets and no bypass. Just make sure you put your loose media in bags, so when it comes to cleaning you can easily pull media out.

I use trainer washing bags! They are strong wide mesh, don't trap detritus, and they are strong.

Make sure you understand the flow path of the canister and get your media in the right order and this canister can perform very nice.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I am in complete agreement with duanes duanes when it comes to canisters; the entire concept/philosophy of a sealed canister filter is simply not compatible with frequent, easy and effective cleaning of an aquarium filter. Literally any style of filter performs the same tasks of mechanical, biological and chemical filtration; but the more frequently the initial mechanical stages are cleaned, the less of the organic material has a chance to be broken down by bacteria and the slower the accumulation of nitrate in the aquarium water. Canisters simply cannot be as convenient to clean as sumps or HOB's, which results in less frequent cleaning, in turn resulting in more rapidly accumulating nitrates.

Read the marketing literature for canisters a few decades ago; the manufacturers would always trumpet how long one could go between cleanings, as though this were some huge benefit. Today there is a bit less emphasis placed upon this as a supposed benefit, likely because aquarists are a bit more aware of the processes going on in an aquarium, but there are still numerous instances of aquarists who are ecstatic that their canisters only "require" cleaning twice a year or even less.

But if a buyer has decided that they want or need a canister, for whatever reason, then there is still a lot to be considered.

...I do not agree with your "over priced" statement, there is a reason Ehime 2262, 2260, FX5 and FX6 are regarded as the absolute best canisters.......Earn more money and buy more expensive filters..... That's like saying a Ford can compete with a Lamborgini...
There are many reasons why particular products are considered to be "the best"...and one of the principle reasons is marketing. I firmly believe that, in general, you do "get what you pay for" in life...but that attitude must be tempered with research, critical thinking and a realistic assessment of the facts. Trusting that something is better because it's more expensive is utterly foolish. Many products are more expensive than their competition because an effective marketing campaign has elevated them in the eyes of the market to the point where a higher price simply adds to the cachet of owning them.

Ford vs. Lamborghini? Congrats, you may have just made the most ridiculous analogy on MFK today. You're right, a Ford can't compete with a Lamborghini...as a sports car, for occasional recreational driving. But, as a daily driver, for carrying groceries or driving the kids to school or taking the dog to the vet or going to the beach with the family, a Ford is infinitely superior to an Italian supercar...and an item like an aquarium filter, which is intended to operate 24/7 for years on end, is pretty much the definition of "daily driver". Selling the notion that "more expensive" automatically equates to "better" is quite often simply a case of putting your mouth where your money already is.

I'm quite certain that if paper money is shredded just so...that it can probably function as an adequate filtration medium....but that certainly doesn't mean that it's the best.

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Since the comments have turned to exposing the downside of canister filters, I'll offer my reason for abandoning them years ago in favor of sump filters. I have run many brands over my first 25 years in the hobby. Eheim, Nu-Clear, Ocean Clear, Marineland. The problem with all of them was the same. As the filter media loads up, flow drops precipitously. You clean the filter and you're running 1200 gph, then a week later the media clogs and you're only pushing 200 gph. This is terrible for conditions in the tank. Cleaning is a pain, especially when pleated filter cartridges are involved. With a sump filter, the volume of media can be huge. Flow never changes, no matter what happens to the media. There are so many ways to set up a sump filter that the cleaning cycle is measured in months, at a minimum, instead of weeks. I'll never go back to a canister filter.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I run an Eheim 2217 and an Eheim 2213 on my 40gal breeder tank. One should not shy away from the costs of reliability. Filtration is the heart and lungs of your fish tank. If the filter fails you lose all the money you invested in your fish. Plus the heartache.

By the way, you can avoid many of the issues fellow members listed above that speak against canister filters by using a sponge filter over the inlet. Then simply rinse out that sponge filter or replace it as needed. That prolongs serious service intervals far beyond anything else.

best
HarleyK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store