What canister filter should I buy?

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Couldn't agree more on the inlet foam cover. Alot more convenient than pulling out the canister.

Reactions: jjohnwm

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Agree completely with HarleyK. Nothing against sumps, but canisters with prefilters, turning them off temporarily during feeding, and servicing them reasonably frequently can be just as good. That of the nitrate factory theory is only if you does not use the canisters properly.

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
I have been in the Hobby for over 25 years i started with HOBs but found they were loud and took up space.
i then switched to cans Penn Plax being my first i like the Penn Plax as most come with different options like a spray bar
I switched to the FX6 now for the last 10 years never had a problem i clean it once every 6 months its kind of a hassle with all those little white turn thingy's.
But it does make up for some things like primming the Penn Plax i would sit there for 15 minutes primming that little plastic primer that i knew was going to snap in half at any moment.
But that being said i have always been understocked and do 3 WC a week.
Canisters cant be that bad or they wouldn't be such big sellers, I would just suggest to get what serves your needs and budget the best.

Reactions: Sassafras

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Good advice from several on protecting the main filter media with a prefilter. Not trying to convince the OP to go with a sump over a canister filter since we are only talking about a 40 gallon tank. Would not bother with a sump on that small of a tank. My preference for sump filtration is based on the size of my tanks (300-900 gallons) and my insistence on not seeing any equipment, tubing, heaters or anything else unnatural in my aquarium. Also agree with the advice to sacrifice, if necessary, on the front end to get a quality filter. Will save you lots of frustration and perhaps your livestock.

4D3

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Since the comments have turned to exposing the downside of canister filters, I'll offer my reason for abandoning them years ago in favor of sump filters. I have run many brands over my first 25 years in the hobby. Eheim, Nu-Clear, Ocean Clear, Marineland. The problem with all of them was the same. As the filter media loads up, flow drops precipitously. You clean the filter and you're running 1200 gph, then a week later the media clogs and you're only pushing 200 gph. This is terrible for conditions in the tank. Cleaning is a pain, especially when pleated filter cartridges are involved. With a sump filter, the volume of media can be huge. Flow never changes, no matter what happens to the media. There are so many ways to set up a sump filter that the cleaning cycle is measured in months, at a minimum, instead of weeks. I'll never go back to a canister filter.
Just add septico..... Use a safe septic tank bacteria.....no clogging. I use 1 teaspoon of septico whisked then everything including the undesolved stuff (which I assume is food for the bacteria) I between your first and second stage mech filter) filtration..

Literally eats everything apart from soil

4D3

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Good advice from several on protecting the main filter media with a prefilter. Not trying to convince the OP to go with a sump over a canister filter since we are only talking about a 40 gallon tank. Would not bother with a sump on that small of a tank. My preference for sump filtration is based on the size of my tanks (300-900 gallons) and my insistence on not seeing any equipment, tubing, heaters or anything else unnatural in my aquarium. Also agree with the advice to sacrifice, if necessary, on the front end to get a quality filter. Will save you lots of frustration and perhaps your livestock.
Ultimately we all know the sump is the best way to go.... I have a 32 litre betta tank with a sump....

Reality is, if you HAVE to use a canister, AND you have the money, BUY THE BEST......, they are the best for a reason.

No disrespect was ment by my post but I think it is invalid to say premium canister are not worth the money.

Cheap canisters fail, i have never in 15 years had an eheim classic fail, i have had the eheim pros fail, due to a priming issue and i got a full refund from eheim, and i have never had an fx5 or f 6 fail.

I am no fan boy of brands and definitely sums are better and easier to maintain, but the GOAT cans are here for a reason... The eheim classics 2262 is so simple and so perfect.

Reactions: dmyersWv

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Sumps are great. I have used both and have settled on fluval for quality and ease of use. The only failures I've had is breaking the impellers when cleaning on the 407s.

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Trust me when I say my issue is NOT my wallet, but thanks for the laugh. It's more than 30 years experience using filters in this hobby and realizing that expensive is NOT always better. I have no problem shelling out when I feel it's worth it. The FX6 I have running currently is an okay filter but the price isn't justified.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store