420 Gallon Floor Aquarium by Aquatic Elements

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Never been a huge fan of fake plants but I'll definitely look for some good quality ones. They would like nice in between the stones!
I've found that PetSmart has some highly realistic individual small plants. Especially if you trim off any fake "root" looking stuff. If you want to see what I mean, check out my most recent photo of my tank in my thread, Final Tank Setup. All the small sized plants are from PetSmart, and they look great.

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
So update time! I tried to post this update a few times weeks ago but it wouldn't let me for some reason so its very behind. The tank has changed quite a lot since but ill keep up with the timeline.

The tank is now full and running. The first residents that entered are a Black diamond stingray, mini marble Motoro stingray and an albino pearl stingray. I also got a super high back Malaysian gold arowana. Absolutely love having the stingrays back again and they are all doing really well. Feeding on mussels and prawns. I'm getting quite a bit of tannins leaching from the bogwood but hopefully this will get better over the long term, the wood has also developed this lovely green algae carpet which I will be keeping. Its adding a nice splash of colour and obviously using some nutrients to grow too.

thanks
DSC04987.JPGDSC04988.JPGDSC04993.JPGDSC05035.JPGDSC05042.JPGDSC05044.JPG

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
I added another pair of stingrays. These are black diamond x P14 hybrids (Will add some pictures soon). I know I'm occupying a lot of floor space so definitely no more stingrays, but this pair was a steal. One of them isn't really eating at all which frustrating. I've heard chopped worms are good to try but struggling to find any. The fine sand is becoming a bit of a nuisance so this will be changed and I'm also looking for some midwater species. Update to follow soon.
DSC05027.JPGDSC05030.JPGDSC05034.JPGDSC05041.JPG

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

HumanBean

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Very nice setup and occupants as well. I have a question though , where is this aquarium resting ? Is this basement or ground floor ? An aquarium of this size has significant foot print water weight wise so just curious how floor is doing ? What is between floor surface and aquarium?

Thanks

Working on setting up an aquarium of 8 x 4 . Want to place it on ground floor but but worried due to the same reason

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Very nice setup and occupants as well. I have a question though , where is this aquarium resting ? Is this basement or ground floor ? An aquarium of this size has significant foot print water weight wise so just curious how floor is doing ? What is between floor surface and aquarium?

Thanks

Working on setting up an aquarium of 8 x 4 . Want to place it on ground floor but but worried due to the same reason
I think I see a washing machine? In the corner so I guess its on the basement floor. Man, that would be a cool setup with 2-3 oscars.

Reactions: 14crazychris

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019

Thanks

Thank you very much! so when I actually purchased my home, one of the main factors I looked for was the flooring funnily enough. I went with this property as it was a new build with solid concrete floors. The foundations of my building are over a meter deep in concrete, you should be able to park a plane on the floor essentially. I have a composite platic vinyl flooring on top of that which wont compres and then the aquarium is sitting on 1 inch of polystyrene. I will also add that the flooring is perfectly level in both directions under the tank, and I also went for a double base of glass. Hope that helps, thanks

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
I think I see a washing machine? In the corner so I guess its on the basement floor. Man, that would be a cool setup with 2-3 oscars.
ahh no my washing machine is in my cupboard. I live in a flat so all the floors are thick solid concrete, thank you :)

• Haha
Reactions: FINWIN

14crazychris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
Another update which brings us up to the present day. I decided to replace the sand with a grey/white coarse substrate which has really elevated the fish's colours, and finally I have crystal clear water once again! I've also added three Hampala barbs. I'd never heard of these fish or seen them before, but they have settled in well and made a great addition to the tank. Providing lots of movement and a splash of colour, its great to see them shoal together. Final additions I'm debating between are zebrina pike, datnoid, stormii catfish and a royal clown knife fish. I am wary of overstocking the tank, but will take that into consideration as the fish grow and get larger.

DSC05102.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store