Matching temperature during water changes

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
So I was thinking the other day on how I can better match the temperature of the incoming water during water changes. I have pretty bad nerve damage so I can't feel much of a temperature change anymore. I also have a lot of damage in my back so standing bent over the sink with a thermometer is out of the question for me now. While the gears in my head were slowly starting to turn, I pulled up Amazon on my phone and this shower thermometer was on the homepage. Then the gears really started to turn and I ordered it. The picture is what I came up with and it works great. Just hook my Python up to the brass fitting on the right and let it fly. To use it, I close the ball valve to the python and open the ball valve to the thermometer until and adjust the faucet until the temperature gets to where I want it. When the temperature is right, I open the ball for the python and close the other one. While the tank is filling, I open the thermometer side just enough for the temperature to read and adjust if necessary but I've only had to do it once. For just $54.08 total, I am very happy with the results. It doesn't look the best but I could care less about that. No glue and simple to put together along with being easy to use is all that matters to me. I should add that I don't know if anyone else has done something like this but if they have, but if they have, have they said anything about the longevity of the thermometer?

Below is the parts list if anyone is actually interested in building one or refining it.

From top to bottom, then left to right.
1. Garden hose adapter, 3/4 inch female hose thread by 3/4 inch male pipe thread. (Ace Hardware) $8.59
2. 3/4 inch threaded Tee. (Lowes) $2.38
3. Schedule 80, 3/4 inch X 3/4 inch, 2 inch, nipple (Ace Hardware) $1.39
4. 3/4 inch ball valve, threaded. (Lowes) $ $3.48
5. 3/4 inch x 1/2 inch reducer bushing. (Lowes) $1.87
6. Schedule 80, 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch, 1-1/2 inch nipple (Ace Hardware) $1.39
7. Shower thermometer. (Amazon) $17.99
8. Schedule 80, 3/4 inch X 3/4 inch, 2 inch, nipple (Ace Hardware) $1.39
9. 3/4 inch ball valve, threaded. (Lowes) $ $3.48
10. Garden hose adapter, 3/4 inch male hose thread by 3/4 inch male pipe thread. (Ace Hardware) $8.59
Total: 50.55 before tax, $54.09 after

1000011135.png

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I was thinking the other day on how I can better match the temperature of the incoming water during water changes. I have pretty bad nerve damage so I can't feel much of a temperature change anymore. I also have a lot of damage in my back so standing bent over the sink with a thermometer is out of the question for me now. While the gears in my head were slowly starting to turn, I pulled up Amazon on my phone and this shower thermometer was on the homepage. Then the gears really started to turn and I ordered it. The picture is what I came up with and it works great. Just hook my Python up to the brass fitting on the right and let it fly. To use it, I close the ball valve to the python and open the ball valve to the thermometer until and adjust the faucet until the temperature gets to where I want it. When the temperature is right, I open the ball for the python and close the other one. While the tank is filling, I open the thermometer side just enough for the temperature to read and adjust if necessary but I've only had to do it once. For just $54.08 total, I am very happy with the results. It doesn't look the best but I could care less about that. No glue and simple to put together along with being easy to use is all that matters to me. I should add that I don't know if anyone else has done something like this but if they have, but if they have, have they said anything about the longevity of the thermometer?

Below is the parts list if anyone is actually interested in building one or refining it.

From top to bottom, then left to right.
1. Garden hose adapter, 3/4 inch female hose thread by 3/4 inch male pipe thread. (Ace Hardware) $8.59
2. 3/4 inch threaded Tee. (Lowes) $2.38
3. Schedule 80, 3/4 inch X 3/4 inch, 2 inch, nipple (Ace Hardware) $1.39
4. 3/4 inch ball valve, threaded. (Lowes) $ $3.48
5. 3/4 inch x 1/2 inch reducer bushing. (Lowes) $1.87
6. Schedule 80, 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch, 1-1/2 inch nipple (Ace Hardware) $1.39
7. Shower thermometer. (Amazon) $17.99
8. Schedule 80, 3/4 inch X 3/4 inch, 2 inch, nipple (Ace Hardware) $1.39
9. 3/4 inch ball valve, threaded. (Lowes) $ $3.48
10. Garden hose adapter, 3/4 inch male hose thread by 3/4 inch male pipe thread. (Ace Hardware) $8.59
Total: 50.55 before tax, $54.09 after

View attachment 1546133
That is great you thought of that. I don't trust the touch the water test because I found out I was off like 6 degrees lol. Now use a floating thermometer.

Reactions: RyanScanner

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
That is great you thought of that. I don't trust the touch the water test because I found out I was off like 6 degrees lol. Now use a floating thermometer.
Your touch is better than mine. My touch test will be off 20 or so degrees and still feel the same to me.

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
The river outside my house is 30C. But if there is a serious cloudburst, four inches of cold rain can come down in less than an hour, sweeping loads of leaves into the river. This changes the temperature and the chemistry quite rapidly.

The fish seem to handle it.

For a change of a few degrees, I would not worry about it.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Great idea and execution! Nicely done. :)

Question: Does the thermometer have an ON/OFF button, so that when you turn it ON you can have a continuous readout of temperature until you turn it OFF? I'd love to add one of those into the line running from my mixing valve to my tanks and storage bins, if it lets me monitor the temperature continuously throughout a water change. My well and pressure tank system results in variations in water pressure as the well pump cycles on and off, which results in variations in temperature also. This would be a wonderful confidence-inspiring way to keep an eye on that. :)

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
Great idea and execution! Nicely done. :)

Question: Does the thermometer have an ON/OFF button, so that when you turn it ON you can have a continuous readout of temperature until you turn it OFF? I'd love to add one of those into the line running from my mixing valve to my tanks and storage bins, if it lets me monitor the temperature continuously throughout a water change. My well and pressure tank system results in variations in water pressure as the well pump cycles on and off, which results in variations in temperature also. This would be a wonderful confidence-inspiring way to keep an eye on that. :)

This one is powered by the flow of water so no need for batteries. There are several models out there with batteries but I went this route because they are only 1/2 inch and it would take to long to fill the tank using 1/2 inch. I tried leaving the ball valve open just enough to keep it on but I was losing too much pressure. I just go back every 5 minutes or so and open it enough to check the temp and then shut it again.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This one is powered by the flow of water so no need for batteries. There are several models out there with batteries but I went this route because they are only 1/2 inch and it would take to long to fill the tank using 1/2 inch. I tried leaving the ball valve open just enough to keep it on but I was losing too much pressure. I just go back every 5 minutes or so and open it enough to check the temp and then shut it again.
That's even better for my set-up. I would be mounting it inline, directly onto the output of the mixing valve and then to the destination tank. For any changes that involve less than a hundred gallons or so I run the output directly into the aquarium in question, so a continuous readout would be ideal.

Thanks for this terrific idea, and the clarification makes it even more irresistible. :)

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
That's even better for my set-up. I would be mounting it inline, directly onto the output of the mixing valve and then to the destination tank. For any changes that involve less than a hundred gallons or so I run the output directly into the aquarium in question, so a continuous readout would be ideal.

Thanks for this terrific idea, and the clarification makes it even more irresistible. :)

I can't speak to the durability and longevity of the thermometer unfortunately quite yet. If you decide to run one, you'll be in a much better position to let all of us know how long it lasts. I'm hoping that they last for at least a year but they are manufactured in China and seem to be made quite cheaply.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store