RTC in group or solitude

Wabbabe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2024
Would an RTC prefer a group or solitude? If so how many in a group? Would a group of gars be intimidating to a solitary RTC? Do groups emit a more aggressive environment?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Would an RTC prefer a group or solitude? If so how many in a group? Would a group of gars be intimidating to a solitary RTC? Do groups emit a more aggressive environment?
First, welcome to the fun group!

I don't know much about these guys, but here is a thread about RTCs: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...want-to-keep-a-rtc-red-tailed-catfish.346243/

From what this thread and other resources said, they do best in solitude. But I have seen groups of them together (mind you, this was at the Dallas World Aquarium with a 50,000-gallon tank or something like that...it also had a Manatee, Arapaima, Dorados, etc.). It depends on whether you have the space for such a monster/or group of monsters.

But for more knowledgeable people who actually keep these guys, here are a few who could help: AR1 AR1 and thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter .

Wabbabe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2024
First, welcome to the fun group!

I don't know much about these guys, but here is a thread about RTCs: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...want-to-keep-a-rtc-red-tailed-catfish.346243/

From what this thread and other resources said, they do best in solitude. But I have seen groups of them together (mind you, this was at the Dallas World Aquarium with a 50,000-gallon tank or something like that...it also had a Manatee, Arapaima, Dorados, etc.). It depends on whether you have the space for such a monster/or group of monsters.

But for more knowledgeable people who actually keep these guys, here are a few who could help: AR1 AR1 and thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter .
I live in Dallas. Been there many times, wonderful place. Thanks for the link and info!

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Welcome to MFK
RTCs are territorial and aggressive towards their own kind when they are about 6 inches, after which they don't bother each other that much. I have once kept three, and they were extremely aggressive towards each other under the 7 to 8 inch range, thus I lost two. Since then I have only kept one, not only because they get massive but also because they eat a lot and have a huge bioload too.
Edit: RTC are not schooling fish and they prefer solitude.

Wabbabe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2024
Welcome to MFK
RTCs are territorial and aggressive towards their own kind when they are about 6 inches, after which they don't bother each other that much. I have once kept three, and they were extremely aggressive towards each other under the 7 to 8 inch range, thus I lost two. Since then I have only kept one, not only because they get massive but also because they eat a lot and have a huge bioload too.
Edit: RTC are not schooling fish and they prefer solitude.
Which color morph to get…….. lol also thanks for info!

Wabbabe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2024
Keep us updated. BTW here's mine
View attachment 1547054
Will do, not gonna give up on it like I see most of the posts are. Just gonna be a waiting process of course. I need to wait until the garage is torn out and an expansion of the house is put in. From there I will build the pond next to it to allow for a close supply of power for electrical purposes and such. Will be more so length and width than depth I would say. I am curious though, what should depth be? I also posted in filters and such to hopefully grt a better understanding of how to water change and such. Hoping I can have florida gar grown out first then rtc grow then an alligator gar to accompany florida. Then add 2 more fish to make sure not to overstock. I also dont want too many fish as I do not wanna be making a ton of water changes all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store