600 gallon acrylic tear down and rebuild or roll the dice?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Starting to turn my attention towards the stand for this beast. I plan on doing it out of 2x6s with a solid plywood deck on top for the tank to rest on. With that said, should I put some sort of thin padding such as felt maybe between the plywood and the bottom of the tank? I will undoubtedly have to physically get inside the tank at some point and don't want any risk of busting something. Although 3 sides will be fully visible, I will only have full access to both short sides. The back will be up against a wall and the front will be built into a different wall so I won't be able to reach the center of the tank.
Ive always been an advocate for acrylic directly on plywood. No foam, no rubber mat, just straight on the wood. If ur stand or tank is unlevel u can use an additional sheet of ply on top but not screwed down then shim inbetween that sheet of free floating ply and the sheet thats screwed down to level the tank as needed. Shims are ur friend lol… theres no such thing as too many IMO if there needed. Rule of thumb for bracing a stand for acrylic is no larger than 24” apart to support the bottom.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south

Here's what you can put under the tank to deflect any bumps in the wood. Tank is looking great.
Foam is for plate bottom glass tanks only… there is a huge misconception about this being used for acrylic. Some tank mfg even recommend it which is ridiculous IMO. Ive helped several people on this forum repair tanks that bottom seams let loose because they were up on foam. Ive had it happen myself also in my earlier years.

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Ive always been an advocate for acrylic directly on plywood. No foam, no rubber mat, just straight on the wood. If ur stand or tank is unlevel u can use an additional sheet of ply on top but not screwed down then shim inbetween that sheet of free floating ply and the sheet thats screwed down to level the tank as needed. Shims are ur friend lol… theres no such thing as too many IMO if there needed. Rule of thumb for bracing a stand for acrylic is no larger than 24” apart to support the bottom.
Awesome!!! Exactly the info I needed yet again!! I will probably be going 16" on center just to be on the safe side, this tank is going to be heavy!! I can grab a laser level from work and I will be coming off a concrete slab so I should be able to get it pretty damn close.

Reactions: wednesday13

Bizdaddy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Soquel, CA
Why would being up on foam cause a seam to fail? Seems strange that manufacturers would recommend it if it was detrimental. I've been using it under acrylic tanks for 20 years without problems, but maybe I've just gotten lucky. I'm about to setup a 180, and certainly don't want to use foam if I will regret it. Thanks for any info you have.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Why would being up on foam cause a seam to fail? Seems strange that manufacturers would recommend it if it was detrimental. I've been using it under acrylic tanks for 20 years without problems, but maybe I've just gotten lucky. I'm about to setup a 180, and certainly don't want to use foam if I will regret it. Thanks for any info you have.
Foam is not a building material… it can crush over time causing tanks to shift. If your using it to compensate for a stand being un level it actually does nothing there also. Tank will still b un level, just on foam lol… basically ur creating an air gap underneath hundreds or thousands of pounds. That gap leaves room for the bottom seams to be un supported and push down/move. If the bottom seams cant push out, they cant fail when supported properly.

Acrylic and its bonding techniques are pretty darn strong… why alot of people dont see issues with small or new tanks. They can take alot of abuse. That doesn’t mean the practice of foam under acrylic is right or proper tho. Im not sure when people starting doing it. Its for plate bottom glass tanks and preventing pin point pressure breaking it.

Hate this example… but its a good one. The show “tanked” actually glued a sheet of ply directly to the bottom of the tanks they made. That went right on top of a metal stand. Shims were used between the ply and stand. Show may have been staged… but that chit was real 😂💀

Bigger the tank, bigger the problem up on foam. My personal experience was with a 450. It failed twice and was repaired before i realized what was happening. 3rd time it failed i took the foam out, repaired again and its been over 10yrs now.

Bizdaddy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Soquel, CA
Thanks for the info. I used wood that I had around the house, so the surface the tank will sit on is 2 pieces of plywood. The seams aren't perfect so I was going to use foam for any imperfections. I might need to re-think my plan.

Reactions: bluehand

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
So I am definitely putting checks on inlet lines because evey time I have flooded my house it was due to inlets lol
Anyways what I am thinking I want to get the new tank up and running as quickly as possible. If I keep the water level at say 18" or so temporarily it would be plenty for the fish. Question is will 2 FX6's be sufficient filtration for a week or so? That way I can take my time setting up the sumps just how I want them and possibly cycle them before cutting the FX's away? In my mind it works 🤪🤣

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Another question..
If I go 16" on center with the 2x6s will a single sheet of 3/4 ply be sufficient for the deck?
1 sheet of 3/4” will be plenty

Reactions: bluehand
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store