Bought very injured pleco, need advice

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
"Mammal bias"? Interesting...but is it unfortunate?

Are simpler organisms deserving of the same consideration that more complex ones are? Bigger more deserving than small? Expensive more than cheap? Vertebrate more than non? Should fish be treated the same as mammals? If so...how about insects? Worms? Protozoa? Bacteria? Where does it end?

I won't feed live fish or even insects to other organisms, except in an emergency situation when such is required to get a picky eater to start feeding...but if I do it then I must be a hypocrite, right?

For me, the line is drawn somewhere beneath insects; I will humanely dispatch grasshoppers and crickets before feeding but won't hesitate to feed live earthworms or snails...but why are they any different? Hint: they're not, it's all in our perceptions and...yes...biases. Hypocrisy again.

I don't care for even using live bait when fishing, although I will use worms when fishing with my granddaughters because I want them to be successful and live bait helps out with that. Hypocrisy yet again.

How about all those innocent bacteria that we slay when we fill a prescription to battle an illness? My dog Duke needed some antibiotics recently for a mild infection he had contracted. I destroyed probably millions or billions of living bacteria within a matter of days; it's that dang mammal bias again. My hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Where you draw the line is up to you; here or there or wherever. There's no black and white answer, it's all shades of grey. This is a slippery slope, and while sliding down it on my butt at high speed I have no qualms about dragging down anyone silly enough to read this post. Sorry, FINWIN FINWIN , you started it! :)

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Cows are undeniably cute, unfortunately for them they are also delicious. Same for chicken, lamb, rabbit, deer and on and on. I also find many plants very visually appealing and also very tasty.
Rabbits are completely off limits for me.

Reactions: DivineBoredom

DivineBoredom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2024
Unfortunately, mammal bias is a real thing. If that were a dog they'd all stroke out and set up a "GO FUND ME" account.
I don’t know about all that, and I’m not going to get into any sort of philosophical conversation about it because I work in animal law enforcement. I see a lot of things good and bad when it comes to people and animals of all kinds.

What I do know is if this were happening to this fish in the wild I personally would chalk it up to circle of life. In this instance though humans put that fish in that situation and then chose to ignore the fact the animal was suffering in the very situation they put it in. The fish had no ability to get away from the situation. The tank was bare, so not even a hide for some respite.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
"Mammal bias"? Interesting...but is it unfortunate?

Are simpler organisms deserving of the same consideration that more complex ones are? Bigger more deserving than small? Expensive more than cheap? Vertebrate more than non? Should fish be treated the same as mammals? If so...how about insects? Worms? Protozoa? Bacteria? Where does it end?

I won't feed live fish or even insects to other organisms, except in an emergency situation when such is required to get a picky eater to start feeding...but if I do it then I must be a hypocrite, right?

For me, the line is drawn somewhere beneath insects; I will humanely dispatch grasshoppers and crickets before feeding but won't hesitate to feed live earthworms or snails...but why are they any different? Hint: they're not, it's all in our perceptions and...yes...biases. Hypocrisy again.

I don't care for even using live bait when fishing, although I will use worms when fishing with my granddaughters because I want them to be successful and live bait helps out with that. Hypocrisy yet again.

How about all those innocent bacteria that we slay when we fill a prescription to battle an illness? My dog Duke needed some antibiotics recently for a mild infection he had contracted. I destroyed probably millions or billions of living bacteria within a matter of days; it's that dang mammal bias again. My hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Where you draw the line is up to you; here or there or wherever. There's no black and white answer, it's all shades of grey. This is a slippery slope, and while sliding down it on my butt at high speed I have no qualms about dragging down anyone silly enough to read this post. Sorry, FINWIN FINWIN , you started it! :)
Hey I didn't INVENT the earth...I just live on it!

After being bombarded with youtube 'recommended' vids with people dressing dogs in clothes and hats, sleeping with dogs in bed, having dogs lick all over newborn babies in the face, dogs getting food out of refrigerators, rubbing their asses in furniture, eating out of chinaware and plates on the table, dumping on kitchen floors...Yup. Bias. Non mammal stuff is still often regarded in a lesser light, especially if it doesn't crave human approval every 10 seconds. But it's SO CUTE!!!!!!! And gets a zillion love clicks!!!!!

For the record I whacked 3 fat flies today. They got in when the men were airing out wet paint.

Ever seen these? We called 'em roachkillers....they come in all sizes for everybody. The idea is that you put these suckers on, trap roaches in the corner and SQUISH with the skinny toe. Often mocked in society for people with big feet.

RKs copy.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I don’t know about all that, and I’m not going to get into any sort of philosophical conversation about it because I work in animal law enforcement. I see a lot of things good and bad when it comes to people and animals of all kinds.

What I do know is if this were happening to this fish in the wild I personally would chalk it up to circle of life. In this instance though humans put that fish in that situation and then chose to ignore the fact the animal was suffering in the very situation they put it in. The fish had no ability to get away from the situation. The tank was bare, so not even a hide for some respite.
I was keeping it simple and a basic comment. no philosophy needed.

Rougarou

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
Good on you for giving this tortured fish a second chance at a quality life. Karma will reward you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store