Please help identify

LAQGUY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2024
They can peel in any pattern, it doesn't have to just be in random flakes. I had a blood parrot I bought unpeeled who peeled like that. In fact she had the same fin pattern as your amphilophus for her whole 10 year existence. Most peel bottom to top like yours for that matter. Some peel in stripes.

View attachment 1549966

View attachment 1549967

View attachment 1549968

View attachment 1549969

View attachment 1549970
I wonder if he may be a hybrid Hoga or even just a normal Midas. Anyway dosnt change the fact that these are all cool ass fish. And the Amphilophus genus is my favorite anyways.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I wonder if he may be a hybrid Hoga or even just a normal Midas.
Again, no way to know, and the former would fall under "midevil".

Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts

LAQGUY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2024
Again, no way to know, and the former would fall under "midevil".
I am aware we are speaking theoretically here. I know a Hoga does not peel. So if in fact he is peeling it’s clear he is not a Hoga. I know I will never know exactly what he is. This does not mean I can’t still be curious as to what or what mix of species he may be.

LAQGUY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2024
I feel for poor Hybridfish7 Hybridfish7

He just keeps saying the same thing over and over lol
Unnecessarily so but not as unnecessary as your comment. This is a forum for open discussions. No one is being argued with nor ignored. Once again I know I will probably never know what exactly he is, however that does not mean because so I have to stop being curious, and stop updating any visual changes. Pages like these are meant to provide insight and perspective through conversation. So keep it that way or kindly bugger off.

• Haha
Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
It’s a great looking Amph but you have just been jumping from species to species with every little color change that your Amph has exhibited. No one is saying not to document any color changes but you keep trying to figure out what species he is, or what he’s mixed with when that’s impossible. It’s a forum for open discussions yes, but you’re just going around in circles and if you’re okay with that so be it. How many times are you gonna keep saying “maybe it’s ___________” ? People will stop engaging if you keep saying the same thing over and over.

To me it looks like you’re trying to avoid calling him a Midevil. I mean you literally said hybrid Hoga, which would be a Midevil lol. You’re just either continuously missing the points being made or ignoring them.

Reactions: AR1

LAQGUY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2024
It’s a great looking Amph but you have just been jumping from species to species with every little color change that your Amph has exhibited. No one is saying not to document any color changes but you keep trying to figure out what species he is, or what he’s mixed with when that’s impossible. It’s a forum for open discussions yes, but you’re just going around in circles and if you’re okay with that so be it. How many times are you gonna keep saying “maybe it’s ___________” ? People will stop engaging if you keep saying the same thing over and over.

To me it looks like you’re trying to avoid calling him a Midevil. I mean you literally said hybrid Hoga, which would be a Midevil lol. You’re just either continuously missing the points being made or ignoring them.
That is not at all what has happened. I shared my thought initially and left it open for others opinions, I than sought counsel with 2 ichthyologist that had different opinions one the most confident on his opinion. Which now may seem not so accurate as well but did state if he peels than he is not what he expect the fish to be. I am not avoiding calling him a Midevil what so ever. I have been purely theoretical with my ideas hence the “I wonder if”. And most importantly a Midevil is a Midas and Red Devil hybrid. I don’t think this is right to just slap on the Midevil labels for every Amph that dosnt look like a barred Midas exactly. He may be very well a hybrid however this does not mean anything further. This is what discredits and tarnishes forms for their social value. When people act as if being ignored and refuse to be in an open minded conversation and misinterpret one another in a conversation. Notice how I never once said to anyone that they are absolutely wrong. I shared my thoughts and pointed out the odd factors. Like me having more at work that look exactly like this fish, as well as a few old posts on here and pointing out if they are infect peeling that would be very odd for them to do it the same exact way. Once again none of us will know exactly but this does not mean we cannot discuss the changes. Furthermore this does not mean you and I, or anyone can’t simply state a honest thought like (I wonder if it’s a regular Midas or a Hoga hybrid).

Last edited:
Reactions: Milingu

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Even though I don't agree with some of LAQGUY LAQGUY statements, I still followed the discussion and the development of the fish with interest. So please don't ruin the thread with unnecessary, unobjective attacks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store