What are some big peaceful schooling fish?

SanguineRegis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2024
Hello! I'm doing some brainstorming on what kind of tankmates to put with a south American Lungfish when I eventually put together the fish's forever home. The hypothetical forever tank would be somewhere in the 300 gallon range and I love the idea of having live plants in it. I'd like to have some sort of schooling fish with the beast that's too large to be eaten and would leave the lungfish and plants be.

I've considered Yucatan mollies and Silver Dollars, but Yucatan mollies are tricky to find in my experience and silver dollars would eat any plants I try to keep in the tank.

Any recommendations on peaceful schooling fish in the range of 5 to 7 inches?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
You could try larger species of rainbow fish although not geographically correct. I’d say mascara or filament barbs but the ones I had absolutely destroyed all my plants.

Contact Greg Sage at Select Aquatics. While not on his sales list, he always has some Yucatán mollies around. And he breeds for size

Reactions: Milingu and AR1

RyanScanner

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Western Australia
Your plants will all become a salad buffet for one night with silver dollars. Believe it or not SAE grow quite big and are great schooling torpedoes + double as effective algae eaters for your plants.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
in a 300g you can do a bunch of tinfoil barbs. they get big and are colorful and peaceful. mine are a foot long now. but they will eat plants.

View attachment 1550506
+2. I have three myself—pretty active and beautiful fish. Personally, I would go for the golden/albino version.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I've always been curious about the tinfoils. Do they have heavy bioload for their size? I think the lemon ones are nice looking.

Reactions: AR1

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Your "need" for plants is the killer here. Some good suggestions so far but all but the hardiest plants would be in danger.

If you decided against the plants I think that 6-10 filament barbs would be perfect. They are very active, have beautiful shimmering colours, max out at around 6-7", easy to feed, peaceful, I absolutely love mine.

If you insist on the plants, my choice would be a large school of Dennison barbs, maybe 15-20. A stunning fish, can reach about 6", very active and, again, easy to feed.

I suppose a lot depends on how aggressive/quick your lungfish is too! Both filaments and Dennison's are no slouches, maybe they can survive any potential attempts at predation?

Last edited:

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I've always been curious about the tinfoils. Do they have heavy bioload for their size? I think the lemon ones are nice looking.
Indeed they do, similar to a pacu. They are very active and skittish, and do best in groups. Ever since I added three to my tank, I’ve had to increase water changes to 80% per week, with an occasional additional 50%, mostly because they are messy eaters as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store