What are some big peaceful schooling fish?

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
I've always been curious about the tinfoils. Do they have heavy bioload for their size? I think the lemon ones are nice looking.
they do have a decent bioload but they get to a foot long so kinda worth the extra water changes. I agree with AR1 AR1 they can be pretty skittish and are extremely active. They def like a big school.

Reactions: FINWIN and AR1

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If the plants are Java ferns, Uaru amphiacanthoides may fit the bill. Large, peaceful, not really schooling but showing group behavior.
Also geographically correct, a group of white tail Hemiodus (not red tails) would be very nice in that tank as well. Don’t eat plants and are schooling and active.

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
Giant Hatchetfish, Striped Shiners, Denisonii Barbs, Black Skirt and/or White Skirt tetras, Torpedo Barbs, Giant Danios, Congo Tetras, Rainbow fish, Tetragonopterus Argenteus, and maybe other large tetras and/or barbs.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
No, pink tailed Chalceus don’t school, are conspecific aggressive, and will attack one another.
Not in my experience they’re not.. They will be aggressive with each other if you only have 2 or 3 .
keep them in schools of 6 or more and they will shoal peacefully as they do in nature.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
No, pink tailed Chalceus don’t school, are conspecific aggressive, and will attack one another.
Tiger15 . You do like to disagree with me at every opportunity that presents its self. I’m cool with that as your daft statements are sometimes amusing.
Research your comments before you make them and don’t base them on your past experience keeping fish incorrectly.
Pink tail chalceus are characins and like most other tetra type fish , can bicker and become aggressive if incorrectly kept in small numbers.
Thank you for your as always insightful comments , they do make me smile. Look forward to your next daft comments .

just a quick google search for you.
IMG_4901.jpeg

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
My experience with pink tails contradicts Wikipedia

For a 6 inch schooling upper water fish I suggest rasbora maculatus

WP_20161216_018 (2).jpg

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
My experience with pink tails contradicts Wikiped
My experience with pink tails contradicts Wikipedia
How many did you have?
I had a group of 7 or 8 can’t remember exactly how many now . They would shoal together peacefully near the surface. I don’t recall any issues with aggression at all.
small groups of 2 or 3 will be aggressive with each other. Like most characins, they do well in numbers.
IMG_5011.png
IMG_5011.pngIMG_5010.png

Reactions: celebrist

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
There are more than one species of commonly named pink tail Chalceus. Their behavior can vary depending on the species as discussed in these threads.

The yellow fin species you have is less conspecific aggressive than the Macrolepedotus species. I currently keep a single individual of both species in my 6 ft tank to avoid conspecific aggression. In my observation of Macro Chalceus in giant public aquarium tanks, they are always cruising solo away from one another. In small dealer tanks, juveniles I observed are always attacking one another with broken nose from jaw locking. Yes, keeping 6 or more individuals will spread out the aggression, but for fish that can reach 12 inch, you need a tank much bigger than 6 ft.

Last edited:
Reactions: celebrist

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
The
There are more than one species of commonly named pink tail Chalceus. Their behavior can vary depending on the species as discussed in these threads.

The yellow fin species you have is less conspecific aggressive than the Macrolepedotus species. I currently keep a single individual of both species in my 6 ft tank to avoid conspecific aggression. In my observation of Macro Chalceus in giant public aquarium tanks, they are always cruising solo away from one another. In small dealer tanks, juveniles I observed are always attacking one another with broken nose from jaw locking. Yes, keeping 6 or more individuals will spread out the aggression, but for fish that can reach 12 inch, you need a tank much bigger than 6 ft.
the op was talking about a 300 gallon tank. I think it would suffice for a shoal.
The most common pink tail is the ery and the one most people refer to when talking about this fish of the 5 or so species.
The only correct way to keep these fish is like most other characins , in shoals just like they behave in the wild.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store