Sick West African Lungfish, No Idea What is Wrong.

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
SmilexGwG SmilexGwG like yourself, I have no idea how this thread of yours turned the way it did. I can’t take responsibility for the awkward response that emerged from G GLTigerfish29 , no idea where that came from or what they’re trippin on, but I am sorry about the challenges you are facing with your lungfish.
Were the marks present when purchased or did they develop after introducing to the fish your tank?
Tank mates? Anyone else w visible issues in the tank?
If you have photographic evidence of the presence of the issue related to your purchase I would personally contact the LFS and request a refund and return the fish.
If that is not an option, I agree w Milingu Milingu regarding the addition of salt. This will promote slime coat regeneration, disrupt & stop the bacterial lifecycle, and soothe your lungfish.
I have no personal experience with lungfish so I cannot offer any further advice mate. All the best πŸ‘πŸΌ

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
wednesday13 wednesday13 has kept lungfish and kno4te kno4te is a fish disease expert.

Reactions: kno4te

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Damn I guess I should have never posted...
Sorry man. I shouldn't have said anything; pretty much my fault for the inflammatory comments. You didn't do anything wrong.

As for the lungfish, the open lesions look to have some minor necrosis setting in and interfering with healing somewhat. Kanaplex and possibly a light dose of salt should help. Upping the water changes to ~70% per week would also be rather beneficial.
Some of the wounds almost look like bite marks...what was the fish kept with at the store?
The snout complications look like healed-over nose rub; shouldn't be a major concern.
If the fish is eating and moving about well, it should be alright as long as the injuries don't worsen or develop a serious infection.
The ammonia-alert tag thing oftentimes doesn't work right, I'd recommend an actual liquid test kit for future reference instead.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Lung fish are usually pretty resilient fish and this should recover. I’d lean toward what wednesday13 wednesday13 recommends first. If he defaults to me then try what I suggest. Salt and water changes may be enough to fix this. If not then try some methylene blue to the affected area. I’d try kanamycin or triple sulfa to the tank. Increase water changes to 50% weekly. Goal to keep tank cycled and nitrates less than 20ppm.

Reactions: danotaylor

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Lung fish are usually pretty resilient fish and this should recover. I’d lean toward what wednesday13 wednesday13 recommends first. If he defaults to me then try what I suggest. Salt and water changes may be enough to fix this. If not then try some methylene blue to the affected area. I’d try kanamycin or triple sulfa to the tank. Increase water changes to 50% weekly. Goal to keep tank cycled and nitrates less than 20ppm.
That’s good news kno4te kno4te ! I’m hopeful for a great recovery!
SmilexGwG SmilexGwG please keep us posted!!

Reactions: AR1

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
SmilexGwG SmilexGwG

Did u see it housed with anything else at the Store? As Fallen_Leaves16 Fallen_Leaves16 also noted, too me it looks like bite marks. IMO, possibly from another lung fish. In my earlier years of keeping i tried multiple lungs together. It did not work out lol… they locked lips and bit down to the bone on the head and it looked just like ur specimens nose. Looks like he lost for sure. The other bites look to be from a lung also. They have a mouth/jaw bone similiar to a snapping turtle. Lungs are tough as nails. I wouldnt do much honestly. Clean water and maybe take the fish out and apply betadine to the wounds to prevent infection.

If the fish is eating and acting normal id just keep feeding and doing water changes. Monitor to make sure the wounds arent getting worse or fuzzy looking. Clean water should heal him up in a month or so.

Lastly, did the fish come in like this or has it progressed since uve had it?

SmilexGwG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2024
Georgia, USA
youtube.com
SmilexGwG SmilexGwG

Did u see it housed with anything else at the Store? As Fallen_Leaves16 Fallen_Leaves16 also noted, too me it looks like bite marks. IMO, possibly from another lung fish. In my earlier years of keeping i tried multiple lungs together. It did not work out lol… they locked lips and bit down to the bone on the head and it looked just like ur specimens nose. Looks like he lost for sure. The other bites look to be from a lung also. They have a mouth/jaw bone similiar to a snapping turtle. Lungs are tough as nails. I wouldnt do much honestly. Clean water and maybe take the fish out and apply betadine to the wounds to prevent infection.

If the fish is eating and acting normal id just keep feeding and doing water changes. Monitor to make sure the wounds arent getting worse or fuzzy looking. Clean water should heal him up in a month or so.

Lastly, did the fish come in like this or has it progressed since uve had it?
They had him in a goldfish tank that had a big piece of driftwood in the middle. I asked for him and the worker told me they already sold their Lungfish so I pointed him out of the driftwood and they were surprised to see him.

I did have 14 days to return him but I'm past that point now unfortunately, I ordered kanaplex and just really hope this isn't lymphocytis...

1000000050.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store