Top 5 least aggressive cichlid

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
1. Yes, "convict" is a common name originally referred to one species, Amatitlania nigrofasciata, in the old days. Today, many more CAs are available in the hobby and all dwarf CAs are commonly referred to as convict cichlid by aquarists, collectors and scientists. Technically, all CAs originated from a single lineage an

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
1. Yes, "convict" is a common name originally referred to one species, Amatitlania nigrofasciata. Today, many more CAs are available in the hobby and dwarf CAs are commonly called convict cichlid by aquarists, collectors and scientists. Technically, all CAs originated from a single lineage and can cross breed. Amatitlania nigrofasciata has been known to cross breed with just about every CA available in the hobby, so it is not far fetched to call all dwarf CAs "convict" and that there is "convict" in every CA tributary. No one would call dwarf SAs "convict" as they originated from different and multiple lineages, and rarely can SAs cross breed with CAs. One exception is a SA from Uruquay , Australheros Red Ceibal, that has been known to cross breed with "convict" apparently and surprisingly sharing a common lineage thousands mile apart. I have kept and bred Red Ceibal long time ago and they look and behave like "convict"

3. I agree that aggression in the animal world may be more correctly described as territorial. In the mammal world, predators are typically territorial as lion would kill other big cat, hyena and wild dog, not for food but to eliminate competition. Herbivorous mammal, on the other hand, are typically not territorial except during mating season. In the fish world, the opposite may be true as herbivores are typically more territorial than predators as in the case of Mbuna and Tropheus. Since given the opportunity all fish will eat fish fry, invertebrates, and animal plankton, so there are no exclusive herbivores in fish. Predators in fish should therefore be narrowly described for and limited to piscivorous. If aggressive = territorial, and predatorial = piscivorous, then predatorial behavior in fish does not necessarily equal to aggressive behavior as in the case of wimpy Oscar and Frontosa.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
1. Yes, "convict" is a common name originally referred to one species, Amatitlania nigrofasciata. Today, many more CAs are available in the hobby and dwarf CAs are commonly called convict cichlid by aquarists, collectors and scientists. Technically, all CAs originated from a single lineage and can cross breed. Amatitlania nigrofasciata has been known to cross breed with just about every CA available in the hobby, so it is not far fetched to call all dwarf CAs "convict" and that there is "convict" in every CA tributary. No one would call dwarf SAs "convict" as they originated from different and multiple lineages, and rarely can SAs cross breed with CAs. One exception is a SA from Uruquay , Australheros Red Ceibal, that has been known to cross breed with "convict" apparently and surprisingly sharing a common lineage thousands mile apart. I have kept and bred Red Ceibal long time ago and they look and behave like "convict"
What "scientists" refer to all "dwarf central american cichlids" as convicts? Which "dwarf central Americans" specifically, by binomial nomenclature, are referred to as convicts?
Don't talk to me about "technically" like you're telling me these things for the first time. This conversation is beneath me, and I will not entertain this any longer.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Yes, Geophagus, with the exception of Brazilensis, are mostly peaceful. G Juruperi is one large ciclid that can be kept with discus. The plants I have are different variants of Anubias, They are tough plants anchored roots on lace rock creating hiding places for cave dwellers.
My Jurus are extremely peaceful around all types of fish. Except each other. Had typical pecking order issues and had to split them up.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I got blue acaras for a community tank. Nice fish. Until they exhibited breeding behavior. Then they started tearing the other fish apart.
Removed one. Remaining still a bit aggressive but has calmed down. It's only aggression is against the only other cichlid in the tank. A Jurupari.
The blues like to defend territory a bit.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I got blue acaras for a community tank. Nice fish. Until they exhibited breeding behavior. Then they started tearing the other fish apart.
Removed one. Remaining still a bit aggressive but has calmed down. It's only aggression is against the only other cichlid in the tank. A Jurupari.
Blue acara is not territorial if you don’t allow them to pair up by segregating sex in captivity. BAC is more aggressive than Jurupari, but less than green terror acara.

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Guys are fascinated by aggressive cichlid and there are numerous threads on the subject. Let’s change the polling on which cichlid are least aggressive. Here is my take based on my personal experience. What is your experience?

Malawi: Yellow Lab and Pseudotropheus saulosi. These are dwarf MBUNA I have kept in group in my planted 75 gal with no significant fighting or casualty ever.

Tanganyikan: Frontosa and Lamprologus tretocephalus. I have kept a Single Frontosa in my planted 125g mixed cichlid community for 10 years and it has never bullied smaller tankmates. Front are typically kept in colony in bigger tank. I keep a colony of L. tretocephalus (aka mini Front)with my Front in my planted 75 gal and they get along and breed regularly.

Non rift lake African: My Kribensis colony breed regularly and self sustain a population in my planted 75g for years. Jewel cichlid are typically aggressive, but I am able to keep a breeding group of Hemichromis exsul in my planted 125g for years with no significant fighting.

CA: Rainbow cichlid is a dwarf CA I have kept peacefully long term in my 75g. Vieja synspillum and Jack Dampsey were peaceful and somewhat timid in my 125g until they reach sexual maturity.

SA: This continent has the most peaceful cichlid. The list of peaceful cichlid is long. I have kept angel, discus, severum, geophagus, acara and so on.
Hi,in the aspect of European aquaristics, it is the most peaceful fish for me Cleithracara maronii .

Reactions: Hybridfish7

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I consider acaras as 'conditionally peaceful'. If conditions are a certain way they are peaceful. Most of the ones I've had were fiesty. I only had one that was kind of a goofball. But generally they won't take on more than they can handle. So I would say they're fiery but know their lane.

Rainbow cichlids are considered to be on the milder end for Centrals. I would say yes and no. They don't fight for fucs sake like Convicts, but they can get nasty if the mood hits. I had one that intimidated a large syno Catfish by popping it on the head relentlessly. The fish eventually worked it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: LBDave

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Blue acara is not territorial if you don’t allow them to pair up by segregating sex in captivity. BAC is more aggressive than Jurupari, but less than green terror acara.
Mine is territorial. Guards the plant area. Although not as vigorously now that his mate has been removed.

Reactions: FINWIN

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I consider acaras as 'conditionally peaceful'. If conditions are a certain way they are peaceful. Most of the ones I've had were fiesty. I only had one that was kind of a goofball. But generally they won't take on more than they can handle. So I would say they're fiery but know their lane.

Rainbow cichlids are considered to be on the milder end for Centrals. I would say yes and no. They don't fight for fucs sake like Convicts, but they can get nasty if the mood hits. I had one that intimidated a large syno Catfish by popping it on the head relentlessly. The fish eventually worked it out.
I agree. But when I had a pair. When their heads turned brown. They teared into my juru and the silver dollars. I think one more day and I would have dead fish. Immediate removal of one basically solved it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store