Top 5 least aggressive cichlid

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I think humans are guilty of the 'broad sweep' generalizations of convenience as we define species (the fish don't know or care). If I had a buck for every time somebody said 'this fish is this, that fish is that' I'd go to Vegas. I would say some fish have a predisposition to aggression more than others.

People talk about oscars being gentle giants. Some are, some aren't. Some are @holes of the first order. Mine was somewhere in the middle. Very tolerant of tankmates as long as he wasn't crowded or challenged. Mine had two hits, an 8 inch severum (bitten head) and one destroyed featherfin with ripped out eyes, peeled skin and a broken spine. But to his buddies he was a sweetheart.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
It really depends on the individual fish, age and environment. Exceptions are everywhere. Plus crowding will bring out the nasty in most any fish (except goldies, but they're weird).
Absolutely.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I think humans are guilty of the 'broad sweep' generalizations of convenience as we define species (the fish don't know or care). If I had a buck for every time somebody said 'this fish is this, that fish is that' I'd go to Vegas. I would say some fish have a predisposition to aggression more than others.

People talk about oscars being gentle giants. Some are, some aren't. Some are @holes of the first order. Mine was somewhere in the middle. Very tolerant of tankmates as long as he wasn't crowded or challenged. Mine had two hits, an 8 inch severum (bitten head) and one destroyed featherfin with ripped out eyes, peeled skin and a broken spine. But to his buddies he was a sweetheart.
I had a red oscar that always got in fights with the other oscars. It wasn't the dominant one but it was always fighting. Never saw another oscar get aggressive with her until a fight broke out. Once I moved the tigers out they were gentle giants. Remaining red fought with her so both were removed as the bass were not happy with the turmoil.
Who knows what goes through a fishes' mind. Some sort of pecking order business I suppose.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
While it is true that individuals can be more or less aggressive than the norm for a species, I do think there is a norm. This helps us make stocking decisions, and minimize illness and death.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Because blue acara's ( Andinoacara clade) usually take at least 3 years to become territoraliy fully mature, their true nature in most aquariums is not fully realized.
I kept about a dozen Panamania blue Acara's together in a 180 gal tank, and for 3 years all went without a hitch.
View attachment 1551026
At @ three years one male hit his territorial stride (about 7"), and began to take out all other males in the 6 ft tank, and a couple non-receptive females.
In the end he allowed 3 females to share that size tank, over the next couple years, and periodically spawned with all 3 throught out the breeding season, raising multiple broods.
View attachment 1551027View attachment 1551028
View attachment 1551029
Most cichlid keepers have no idea about the territorial space even small cichlids like Acara's really need.
My 180 gal is probably a mere drop in the bucket compared to spacial reallity.
I heard the same thing although I got electric blues. Looks like they would have spawned within months of getting them.
Really like them as a fish. They stop on a dime and look around. Just didn't work for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store