Common Houseplants in aqarium, the list!

FrancisFloe

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
What kind of pothos is that? I’ve never seen such large leaves!
The large leafed pothos also known as the "Giant" pothos, believe it or not, is literally the same plant as your common golden pothos. They start growing bigger leaves if they are in the right condition, its called "reversion". Hard to replicate, im not exactly sure how but it usually happens when you let them climb or vine, I notice it usually happen when they are on trees. Also it could be if they are receiving tons of nutrients and light, but sometimes it still cant be replicated.

Also there are cases, even if you got cuttings of a "Giant" pothos, if you plant them in a pot or give inadequate care requirements they'll revert back to a normal golden pothos

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
What kind of pothos is that? I’ve never seen such large leaves! I’ve had Monstera and they seem to work/ adapt the fastest. I have pothos, Palm plants, and a ton of lucky bamboo but none of those seem to grow fast at all. It’s only been 2-3 weeks but time will see
FrancisFloe FrancisFloe nailed it. This is your standard old golden pothos that reverted to a giant jade basically. Unfortunately it didn't survive the transition to the 600 so I can't give any more updates.
But, I have been growing out this variegated epp. pinnatum in it's place
20241009_002805.jpg

FrancisFloe

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
FrancisFloe FrancisFloe nailed it. This is your standard old golden pothos that reverted to a giant jade basically. Unfortunately it didn't survive the transition to the 600 so I can't give any more updates.
But, I have been growing out this variegated epp. pinnatum in it's place
View attachment 1550445
Sad to hear the pothos died😞.
That albo eppipremnum is gorgeous, my dream plant but theyre uncommon to find here. I do have a bunch of normal epippremnum and they grow crazy so beware, theyre native to my area and completely took over our mango tree!

IMG_20241009_150625.jpg

• Love
Reactions: OTp1144

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
I'd also like to add hoyas to the list. I've had success with many species so far. Unfortunately lost most to pests
Very interesting. I have some hoya in the kitchen and if i water those once per month im being generous. Was always under the impression they dont like to be wet long.

I have also been away for a little bit as I was playing in a tournament that took a month and a lot of my spare time got invested into it.

I too come with small updates on the plants im trying at the moment.

The orchids were a flop though i believe it's very possible. Just not in my setup, was way too humid and i got mold on them after 2 weeks or so.

Aglaomena adepted very well. lots of new growth. It flowered as well but the flower rotted before it opened.

Philodendron scandens brasil: roots rotted after long exposure to water, but another cutting that is only hanging and growing on the humidity seems to do ok.

Philodendron scandens micans: doesnt develop much submerged roots either, but doesnt rot. Has developed a lot of air roots. Grows better on humidity i think.

Ctenanthe: original rootball rotted but they quickly developed new roots and seem to thrive. Very quick growth in a short period.

Colocasia: i took 2 colocasia home about a month ago that had 1 yellow leaf each. I'll let the pictures speak for itself on that one.

Horn fern: i have a very small one laying on a coco fiber stick. Grows on the humidty and has developed a lot of new, hairy roots. Only one new leaf. Seems to do fine so far.

Sorry for the double reply, wasnt letting me put it in one message.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Ctenanthe: original rootball rotted but they quickly developed new roots and seem to thrive. Very quick growth in a short period.
The one on the left looks to be a Ctenanthe "setosa". But the one on the right looks to be a Stromanthe "sanguinea".

I have a huge terrestrial sanguinea, it is quite a specimen. If yours takes off it'll be impressive!

I think the whole Calathea, Stromanthe, Ctenanthe and Marantaceae family will thrive being grown straight out the top of aquariums.

They are all high humidity loving jungle plants and the surface of an aquarium is very humid.

Below are pictures of my terrestrial Stromanthe sanguinea and a Calathea "vittata", a Calathea "concinna" and a Philodendron "red sun" which are thriving in the top of my hex tank.
IMG_20241022_155401_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241022_155416_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241022_155423_HDR.jpg

IMG_20241022_155435_HDR.jpg

Reactions: AR1 and HUKIT

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
[
The one on the left looks to be a Ctenanthe "setosa". But the one on the right looks to be a Stromanthe "sanguinea".
Thanks for the correction! They're both from my work and arrived in a ctenanthe mixtray. Didnt bother properly identifying them. They were dying so i chucked them in there and they made a very quick recovery. The leaves were almost fully dried out when i added them

Reactions: esoxlucius
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store