Where to get a specific size aquarium ?

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
So i'm looking for an aquarium that is 47 to 48 inches long 16 to 16 1/2 inch wide (this is the tircky part) and 16 to 18 inches high. The tricky part that i can't find a standard aquarium is the 16 inch wide; otherwise i would just go with a 40B (even if it is a bit shorter than i want).

I don't really care if it is glass or plastic as long as it will last a long time. The content will be blackwater ( ec < 30 and ph < 5.5); i've been looking at custom aquarium builders and my first thought was glasscages since they are an hour away but all of their builds are euro-braced and i don't want a thick lip as that hinders managing things near the sides and i tend to use full width. I do NOT object o cross brace or ugly rim as long as the distance from the inside edge and end of rim is no more than 1/2 inch or so (just enough to hold a lid) like you find on mass produced tanks. rimless would be ok IF it can hold a lid - these aren't show tanks they are functional aquariums so i can watch my fishes and keep them healthy.

This is the aquarium it will replace:
lineta_nov_2024.jpg

(it started like this)
lineta_may_2023.jpg

(so it is not my fault a few plants grew and it doesn't look like your typical blackwater aquarium).
--
I had used customaquariums in the past but i don't really want to pay $250 for shipping if there are other options. If there are no other options i'll go that route again (i'm mostly ok with their build but their 'ultra clear' glass leaves much to be desire as it distorts the aquarium content).
-
Anyway if you know of an aquarium 36 to 48 inch long that is only 16 inch wide or whatever let me know - i'm open to a plastic tank i suppose esp since it will be easier to carry downstairs (it is replacing the pictured tank since the plants have outgrown the provided space).
(this is the primary occupants of the aquarium):
a_lineta.jpgfemale_a_lineta.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sounds like you may as well go 40 breeder...there is also a 60 breeder available (its basically a short 75). Otherwise you'll pay for a custom build. A long frag tank might be another possibility.

60 breeder is 48L x 18W X 16H

1729690548518.png

Reactions: Backfromthedead

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Sounds like you may as well go 40 breeder...there is also a 60 breeder available (its basically a short 75). Otherwise you'll pay for a custom build. A long frag tank might be another possibility.

60 breeder is 48L x 18W X 16H

View attachment 1551184
As i noted it has to be 16 inch wide and those are 18 inch wide and won't fit on the platform.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
As i noted it has to be 16 inch wide and those are 18 inch wide and won't fit on the platform.
I also suggested a frag tank as well. Just get your build from custom aquariums and call it a wrap. Nobody builds standard 16" width. It's either 15 (acrylic) or 18 (glass)

Or expand your platform and give yourself more options.

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
I also suggested a frag tank as well. Just get your build from custom aquariums and call it a wrap.

Or expand your platform and give yourself more options.
I can't make the stone slab wider; that is not an option. Nor can i find (with a 10 minute google search) a 'frag' aquarium that is 16 inch wide and has a lid. Yes my backup is just go with customaquarium if i can't find anything else.

The stone slab is like 50 feet long and 17 1/4 inch wide and has a row of aquariums - the slot where the 20 long is has enough room on the sides for something a bit longer. Originally the slab was suppose to be wide enough for a 40b but i goofed somewhere ;) the 2nd one behind it is wide enough for a 40b but it is fully occupied....

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Hmm sounds like a pickle.

I just threw these dimensions in to Custom Aquariums for reference:

1729700976048.png

You can save money on a lid by having glass cut at a hardware store and adding adhesive hinges.

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Hmm sounds like a pickle.

I just threw these dimensions in to Custom Aquariums for reference:

View attachment 1551188

You can save money on a lid by having glass cut at a hardware store and adding adhesive hinges.
And they are less expensive than glasscages; thought there would be additional shipping charges. Maybe i'll just keep the 20 long or maybe i'll skip christmas ;)

There is a 33 long but i'd kind of prefer something a little wider if possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store