210 gallon Frontosa build

Bizdaddy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Soquel, CA
At that size you could be feeding them flake food still. It will spread out a bit better and the slower ones will have a better chance. Frozen Mysis would be better than brine for a treat. Feed them small amounts a couple times a day and they will grow quickly.

Reactions: Caperguy99

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
First water change today - the fishies didn’t seem to give it a thought. Changed about 30% of the water using the python with a Sicce pump. the FX-6 outputs were splashing away, and I must say I was sweating a bit until it was all over! All in all, it took about 45 minutes - but I was messing around with the Python connections for a portion of that time.

Bought a little more food - they’ve been getting the Hikari Bio-Gold discus pellets, and I started swapping in some Northfin Cichlid Pellets and some frozen krill - which they went nuts for. I haven’t tried the brine shrimp yet, but maybe I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

I know it’s a new tank and so I’m trying to fight the instinct to fiddle with things, but I’m wondering if I should pull one of the FX-6 and add in some filter floss. The water still isn’t as crystal clear as I’d like . . .

Reactions: danotaylor

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Figured I’d do a two-week check in. Everyone is settling in well. The first picture is the runt of the batch - he hangs back at feeding time, so I feel like I’m feeding lots to make sure he gets some. The rest are ravenous - sometimes coming right to the top of the tank before the pellets can even sink. They also go nuts for the frozen Hikari krill.

When I did my water change last week, I used a Sicce Ultra Zero pump, but I didn’t gravel vac. Should I be gravel vacuuming the Carib Sea Ivory Coast sand? I don’t want gas buildup or anything - but I’ve only run gravel tanks in the past and am not sure what the general maintenance is on the sand bottom. Any tips are welcome!

IMG_4422.jpegIMG_4430.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: danotaylor

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
You have very low stock density to water volume mate. I would prob just gravel vac every other water change, and mostly to remove the finer silt sand particles to help improve your water clarity. As you observe your set up you will begin to notice whereabouts in the tank your water current deposits suspended detritus that doesn't make it into your filter intakes. Those areas you can do a quick vac with your weekly water changes to remove any nitrate producing waste. This will in turn reduce the bacterial load in your water column and make for a healthier overall aquatic environment.
As far as gas build up goes the particles on the carib sea sand are reasonable coarse and shouldn't trap gas very easily. The build up of gas usually has to do with infrequent water changes, fine sand which packs, heavy bioload, and detritus or uneaten food that is left to settle into the substrate.
With your set up, and substrate choice, f you maintain a clean tank with periodic vacuuming it just not gonna happen :thumbsup:

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Did a deep gravel vac during the water change today and am I ever glad that I did! He water was coming up the tube looking milky white - I rinsed all my sand before using it, but very clearly there was a lot of dust and silt left in it!

Waiting for my canisters to clear the tank over the next day or so

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Very typical result vaccing Carib sea sand mate, over time the silt will get less & less

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
I took a comparison picture today of a fish I’ve posted before. This is the guy from the second photo posted above - seems to be growing more than the others and has sort of adopted a “tank boss” personality. The kids call him “Homer” - from the patriarch of the Simpsons.

Comparison wise, it’s hard to tell size from two photos - but clearly his fins have grown! The fins on the bottom now stretch to nearly the middle of his belly - when in the earlier picture they are just short nubs.

He seems to have colonized a pile of rocks on the right hand side - he patrols around them and puffs and chases when the others hang around too much. There’s another fellow that has been giving him a run for his money, which maybe I’ll post a photo or video of in the future.

Overall, there looks to be 3 that are growing at a faster rate than the others. I’m wondering if this means that I have 3:3 as a ratio? Hard to tell, I guess -

IMG_4480.jpeg

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Returned home from a trip to France and my wife did a smashing job of keeping the tank! I divided out how much food per day, and it worked really well.

I missed a weekly water change, but I’ll do an extra large one on Sunday and be back to regularly scheduled programming.

This little guy was pleased to see me back -

View attachment 1549532
Awesome-looking fish! Subbed.
What’s its size, and how has its growth rate been?

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Awesome-looking fish! Subbed.
What’s its size, and how has its growth rate been?
Thanks!

When I received all six fish on August 1, the largest were around 2” and the smallest were likely between 1 1/4” and 1 1/2”

Eyeballing them today, I’d say the two smallest are now at 2” each, the middle two are around 2 1/2” and the two largest are 3”.

Decent growth for two months!

Reactions: ken31cay and AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store