500 gallon

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
maxin76;3183578; said:
looks f en sweet that is one big build im a carpenter by trade and thats a lot of work put in ...wondering total cost and what fish will call this home...
The cost of the tank is about

around.... 1100? close to that

the stocking list is

1 Silver Arowana
2 Wild Oscars
3 Motoro Stingrays :headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
Nice to see a tank of that size which isn't over built. I'm planning a 200gal plywood tank now and was going to use a lot more wood to reenforce the back, sides and bottom; overkill I guess. Can't wait to see it set up with H2O and plumbing.

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
greengiant;3183688; said:
wow that looks great. how long do you have to wait for it to cure before you filler up.
it drys in less then 30 seconds:D no joke, its super quick

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
flowerpower;3183751; said:
Sorry if I missed it but, how thick is that glass and what did you spend?
the glass is 3/4 '' thick, the dementions of it are 88''x24 3/4''

it cost $290

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
rED O;3183674; said:
The cost of the tank is about

around.... 1100? close to that

the stocking list is

1 Silver Arowana
2 Wild Oscars
3 Motoro Stingrays :headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2
I’ve never kept oscars myself, but we have 17 rays.
:headbang2:stingray::headbang2:stingray::headbang2:stingray::headbang2:stingray::headbang2:stingray::headbang2
It is awesome that they are going to have such a nice growout tank! (lol, motoros are beasts, and if fed right sometimes they get rather massive.)

I don’t think oscars + motoros is such a great idea; again, I’ve never done it, and this is all heresay. I’ve heard some nasty horror stories about it, however. The arowana should be perfect, as well as maybe tropical gars or the like. I absolutely love stingrays, and would hate to see an ”oops” post about this. If you’ve already done your research and know better, let me know! I’m always open to a good lesson now and then.

BTW, bad-ass tank build! That thing is beyond cool! :naughty:

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
abortedsoul;3184021; said:
I’ve never kept oscars myself, but we have 17 rays.
:headbang2:stingray::headbang2:stingray::headbang2:stingray::headbang2:stingray::headbang2:stingray::headbang2
It is awesome that they are going to have such a nice growout tank! (lol, motoros are beasts, and if fed right sometimes they get rather massive.)

I don’t think oscars + motoros is such a great idea; again, I’ve never done it, and this is all heresay. I’ve heard some nasty horror stories about it, however. The arowana should be perfect, as well as maybe tropical gars or the like. I absolutely love stingrays, and would hate to see an ”oops” post about this. If you’ve already done your research and know better, let me know! I’m always open to a good lesson now and then.

BTW, bad-ass tank build! That thing is beyond cool! :naughty:
thanks

I did my homework for quite a while on oscars and rays, some people had luck and others had failure.

I had 9 oscars and I have 2 wild oscars left. i kept the wilds because they are very shy and passive fish and keep to them selfs and don't bug other fish. I had them with bottom dwellers like plecos and loaches before they they did not bug them. So knowing this I should have lots of sucsess with them:)

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
rED O;3182574; said:
The Polyurea lining... polyurea and glass
So the polyurea sticks to the exposed & cured silicone between the wood and glass?

Did you or the polyurea applicator know this beforehand?

That would have been my primary concern with this approach.

For reference, I built a plywood paludarium with a very similar method. It was for a zoo and the decision was made at the last minute to make it hold water on the bottom 6" so I had to come up with a way to make everything water tight. I would have designed it differently if I had known beforehand.

What we did was seal the plywood with solvent based epoxy paint and then used Vulkem, a polyurethane based caulk, to seal the glass to the epoxy-sealed plywood. At the time Vulkem was known to be fish safe. I don't know that it still is.

I then painted over the Vulkem and about 1/2" of the glass to seal it all in.

The reason I used Vulkem was because I knew epoxy paint would stick to it. I had tried epoxy paint over silicone and it failed.

At any rate, thought this might provide some peace of mind. As long as polyurea bonds to silicone I think this will work.

Looking forward to seeing this one filled.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store