600 gallon acrylic tear down and rebuild or roll the dice?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Now the dilemma..... All along I had full intentions of keeping my Oscars and arowana both in this tank. With that said I have heard stories of Oscars killing much larger arowana so now I'm kind of nervous about putting them together because I love my arowana!!! This tank was built for the him pretty much. My arowana is now roughly 13 to 14 inches and the three Oscar that I plan to put with him now are roughly 5 inches. With the large footprint of the tank I would like to think it would be fine but I have never housed these two species together so was just looking for a little advice from someone with more experience than I lol.
Aros borderline imo… there pretty tough and hardy once they hit 18-20”. Will pose no problem together when the oscars are 10-12” and the aro is 28”+… cichlids can be terds tho i agree… but… ur tank should be more than large enough to not worry also. Can always try and watch out for nipped/torn fins then pull the oscars if needed.

bluehand

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Having a slight battle with tannins but have added some Purigen into the cycle that seems to be helping, also I have incorporated alot if Fluval Bio-FX which I have never used before personally but have seen good reviews on,other than that the transition has gone pretty smoothly. I have decided to keep the Oscars in the 7 footer at least until the Arowana gets larger

IMG_20240929_210319008_HDR.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store