75 semi aggressive tank stock ideas??

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I would love one and they always have them at my LFS but they told me their hard to feed
its not that they are hard to feed...its I never had any luck getting them off live crickets. Which isn't a bad thing by any means, I just didn't have the space for a cricket breeding center along with my tanks at the time. They are awesome little fish, but make sure your lids are on good! They can literally sail out of a tank lol, found one of mine crispy dry about 9 feet away from the 150 he was in.

However, dropping crickets in the water is awesome because they zero in immediately and attack. Basically a mini arowana lol.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Maybe I'll try one for a bit but if I can't get them off crickets then it's prob not the fish for me. Could I keep more than 1 tho?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can keep more than one African butterfly fish together without problem. Keep some floating plants to help keep calm and will feed better.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Can keep more than one African butterfly fish together without problem. Keep some floating plants to help keep calm and will feed better.
+1 they work fine in groups and yes to the plants and it doesn't hurt to "shade" a portion of your lids with something too, they like to hide under cover since they are consistently on the top of the water.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I like the ctenopoma (leopard bush fish) idea and butterfly fish idea. I am working toward a tank like that. I LOVE my ctenopoma. (But he will eat smaller fish like rummys.)

If you like the eel look, you can also get rope fish - they like groups of 3+, or another bichir (I think with a 75, maybe you have to go 90+ for 2, check this info.)

I have Congo tetras for the first time and they are cool. Larger, active, don't bother anyone.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I like the ctenopoma (leopard bush fish) idea and butterfly fish idea. I am working toward a tank like that. I LOVE my ctenopoma. (But he will eat smaller fish like rummys.)

If you like the eel look, you can also get rope fish - they like groups of 3+, or another bichir (I think with a 75, maybe you have to go 90+ for 2, check this info.)

I have Congo tetras for the first time and they are cool. Larger, active, don't bother anyone.
I'd only suggest a Senegal poly for a 75, the other species are always in the realm of possibilities to push the limits of the tank width even though its highly unlikely with all the CB polys in the mix these days. My delhezi was 14" and a CB so anything is possible lol.

I do however agree with bushfish/butterfly fish combo, good mix in my book

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
There are other very cool smaller species of African leaf fish, nandus amongst others. Very cool bit rarely get off live food.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Really lol, can't even remember what my one was but it gets 40mm and is Africa haha...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store