75 semi aggressive tank stock ideas??

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Abbreviater are 80mm and African, I had the smaller brother.

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Yeah, nadidaie or summit, fed mine a worm that was dead an he bloated and died... I assumed it had just died but obviously not, was pretty gutted...
Must find some more!-)

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I like the ctenopoma (leopard bush fish) idea and butterfly fish idea. I am working toward a tank like that. I LOVE my ctenopoma. (But he will eat smaller fish like rummys.)

If you like the eel look, you can also get rope fish - they like groups of 3+, or another bichir (I think with a 75, maybe you have to go 90+ for 2, check this info.)

I have Congo tetras for the first time and they are cool. Larger, active, don't bother anyone.
Rope fish and congo tetras also came to mind, you think I could have, senegal bichir, peacock eel, zig zag eel, rope fish, congo tetras, tiger barbs or maybe clown loaches?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Clown loaches may be better for long term I would think? But they do get big so say I get around 5-7 how long before I would have to get rid of them? Are they slow growers?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Clown loaches are slow growing,u have quite a while before they get to any decent size.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
African butterfly fish should be fine with the stock mentioned. Feeding isn't too bad. They will take floating flakes, krill, tubifex etc.

The African theme should be good.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
You can get all male congos too, to be sure they'll be bigger and less likely lunch.

Another different thing to throw out there since you have a bunch of some eel shaped fish is an African Brown Knife fish. Cool looking, supposedly more active and out during the day, and smaller than the ghost knife. I have read from many people that the peacock eels are pretty shy and you often don't see them much. Might be nice to have a fish that is a different shape and visible?

I love the eel-shaped bottom fish too, so I totally get wanting a tank full of them. I'd be pretty happy with an 8 foot long shallow tank full of bichirs, ropes, eels, gobies, etc. LOL

Don't forget the sand substrate for your snakey guys, esp. the eels. :)

(And I am just going to put one more word out on the Ctenopoma. Mine is so cool. He is interactive, uses all areas of the tank, eats like a pig - literally anything - eats out of tweezers and pipettes, and his stalking/I-am-a-leaf behaviors are really fun to watch. He is captive bred, not sure if that makes a difference but he is always out and about. I do have a pretty densely planted tank though.)

Last edited:
Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store