A new start for my main tank?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Yeah, it's not a sure thing yet, just something I am considering. It is my wife's idea, so doing a goldfish set-up would likely be worth more than a few brownie points...:)

I must admit I find it appealing. A few goldfish, a handful of Roselines, a couple Weather Loaches (thanks for reminding me about those!), maybe a school of Rosy Reds (another underrated and overlooked fish that I really enjoy)...who knows what else?

On the other hand, thanks wednesday13 wednesday13 for b****-slapping me back to my normal reality. :)

I had regretfully abandoned the idea of a Goonch due to lack of space...but that was before my 360 was potentially available for a remake. I just don't know enough about Goonch species in terms of max size, temperature preferences, etc...time to do some more research.
Lol… ahh im just yankin yer chain my man. All in good fun. Ive had many “community” style tanks with the lowly goldfish and koi over the years. There excellent cleaners. Even kept koi with rays for that purpose. I joke, but i still have comets in house for reasons i cant explain ?. Most any fish room ive visited had goldies stashed away somewhere. Brownie points with the wife is always a plus esp. if shes interested. U can sneak in a few more fish while shes distracted by her goldfish tank ? lol…

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yes, yes, yes, go for it. It will be a refreshing and interesting journey for you, and one I will be following along with should you dive in.

BUT, BUT, BUT......I won't be following along if you get any of these abominations, in fact i'll more than likely block you! Lol.

View attachment 1503321
Nah, get about 30 of these and watch them bumble and jiggle...:cool-1:

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...Brownie points with the wife is always a plus esp. if shes interested. U can sneak in a few more fish while shes distracted by her goldfish tank ? lol…
Ah, but that is a double-edged sword. She generally isn't interested, feeds the fish in my absence (grudgingly), nods and smiles indulgently when I come in from working in the pond or collecting out in the field covered with semi-dried mud and algae. She prefers not to go into the basement fishroom at all; it's adjacent to the crawlspace which extends beneath half of my house, and the risk of encountering a spider is ever-present. :) I secretly encourage spiders...

But if she actually likes the new set-up...which of course she will, because it's her idea and she is apparently never wrong...then my subterranean lair is in danger of becoming communal space. I'm not sure I could handle the loss of my Fortress of Solitude. Right now it's just me and my dog Duke, along with the occasional guardian spider. There's only the one chair; the beer fridge contains only beer; the musical selection is carefully curated by and for me; the "decor" consists of favourite hand tools, less-than-perfect DIY taxidermy trophies and assorted photos and souvenirs. The last time she got loose in there unsupervised, she threw away the little plastic bubbling deep-sea diver ornament that I had owned since I was about 10 years old...just because she found it on the floor in the corner! :cry:

If she decides that it is now a "room", we are on the slippery slope towards decorating, cleaning, air fresheners...where will it end? Painting? Michael Buble on the stereo? Wine coolers in the beer fridge??? :WHOA:

What if she decides that Two-Face...a wild boar head that I taxidermied many years ago, and who somehow ended up with completely different expressions on both sides of his face...needs to go? :eek3:

The horror...the horror... :help2:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Entertaining read :)

Whatever you do, it's not set in stone. We all tend to advise based on what we would do, so I'd not go there.

The goldfish do not calmly cruise IME, maybe line have been different, but their mode of swimming is mostly (not always) erratic and lacks any rhyme or reason.

No one ever I came across had kept and showed how they raised their burbot or grass pickerel over the years. But then again, here I am talking about my favorite person, me...

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ah, but that is a double-edged sword. She generally isn't interested, feeds the fish in my absence (grudgingly), nods and smiles indulgently when I come in from working in the pond or collecting out in the field covered with semi-dried mud and algae. She prefers not to go into the basement fishroom at all; it's adjacent to the crawlspace which extends beneath half of my house, and the risk of encountering a spider is ever-present. :) I secretly encourage spiders...

But if she actually likes the new set-up...which of course she will, because it's her idea and she is apparently never wrong...then my subterranean lair is in danger of becoming communal space. I'm not sure I could handle the loss of my Fortress of Solitude. Right now it's just me and my dog Duke, along with the occasional guardian spider. There's only the one chair; the beer fridge contains only beer; the musical selection is carefully curated by and for me; the "decor" consists of favourite hand tools, less-than-perfect DIY taxidermy trophies and assorted photos and souvenirs. The last time she got loose in there unsupervised, she threw away the little plastic bubbling deep-sea diver ornament that I had owned since I was about 10 years old...just because she found it on the floor in the corner! :cry:

If she decides that it is now a "room", we are on the slippery slope towards decorating, cleaning, air fresheners...where will it end? Painting? Michael Buble on the stereo? Wine coolers in the beer fridge??? :WHOA:

What if she decides that Two-Face...a wild boar head that I taxidermied many years ago, and who somehow ended up with completely different expressions on both sides of his face...needs to go? :eek3:

The horror...the horror... :help2:
Haha… i get it… sounds like u need a goldie tank upstairs then to protect ur “safe space” ?.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Entertaining read :)

Whatever you do, it's not set in stone. We all tend to advise based on what we would do, so I'd not go there.

The goldfish do not calmly cruise IME, maybe line have been different, but their mode of swimming is mostly (not always) erratic and lacks any rhyme or reason.

No one ever I came across had kept and showed how they raised their burbot or grass pickerel over the years. But then again, here I am talking about my favorite person, me...
Were all a bit bias in what we like, great point… i do love burbot tho so thats 2 votes for the rarely seen lota lota ??. One thats always been on my “fish bucket list”…

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm gonna buck the trend here. I think he should cater for his wifes tastes a bit more and turn his fish cave into a sewing room with floral wallpaper, with loads of nice cupboard space for hats, bags and shoes!

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I had a couple Burbot back in the 1980's; I caught them as youngsters in the 4-5 inch size range while wading in the shallows of a northern Ontario lake after dark, ostensibly searching for crayfish to use as fishing bait the next day. They were close to shore in water only a foot or so in depth every night. I know you are an avid fisherman, wednesday13 wednesday13 ...if you ever venture into northern Ontario for a fishing trip, try searching for them that way in mid-summer. I had always read and thought that they were deep-water fish, but perhaps they spawn in the shallows and then the young spend their early lives there?

Those fish were tough as nails, survived a week in a bucket in the cabin, a 12-our drive home, and then lasted for several years in a coolish basement tank. They were eventually moved into a small outdoor tank/pond, where they sadly fell prey to some nocturnal predator, perhaps a raccoon. They were easy keepers; predatory but not aggressive, never bothered anything they couldn't swallow, a cool display fish. I was reminded of them when I eventually got my one and only bichir, an ornate, years later; very similar behaviour. Usually on display, active but not hyper.

Grass Pickerel are super cool fish for a one-fish tank, it you don't mind a fish that rarely moves except when feeding. They are such lightning-quick and voracious predators that I could never even manage to keep two together for long; one would always eat the other, or worse yet, choke to death trying. Either their teeth didn't allow them to release a too-large fish, or they were just too stupid and stubborn to realize they were in trouble; either way, it never worked out long term. They were common and easily-caught in my area of Ontario, and I tried many times to get a small group to cohabitate in a single tank; just got tired of failure and gave up. I feel bad about how many I condemned to death by trying to keep them together; easily 20 or more over the years. With the exception of one jumper, all of them died either in the mouths of their brethren, or with one of their buddies in their mouths; on one occasion, it was both simultaneously, a three-fish pile-up that resulted in the death of all three, and cemented my resolve to give up trying to keep them.

Of the two, burbot are much more entertaining and attractive...but I really want to try something different.

Viktor, you're right, it's not set in stone. But I have had a couple species of fish recently that I had long wanted to keep, and after a couple years pretty much lost interest in having and moved down the road. I'd really like a stable, long-term tank set-up with fish that become permanent long-term partners, not just brief flings. :) Gymnogeophagus balzanii and Ameca splendens both went from "must-haves" to "why did I want these again?" in a couple years' time; don't want to do that this time, but you never know...

I'm gonna buck the trend here. I think he should cater for his wifes tastes a bit more and turn his fish cave into a sewing room with floral wallpaper, with loads of nice cupboard space for hats, bags and shoes!
Shush, you! :)

Last edited:

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Appreciate the burbot info jjohnwm jjohnwm ??… Wes has offered them a cple times over the yrs. I was turned away thinking room temp in a basement was not cold enough for them. Nice to hear there pretty hardy. Will def. Have to try when there available again. They are somewhat “local” to me in lake erie, but thats a long shot for patrolling feeder streams collecting my own. Im a good hour away and the populations aren’t nearly as great as where ur at.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Appreciate the burbot info jjohnwm jjohnwm ??… Wes has offered them a cple times over the yrs. I was turned away thinking room temp in a basement was not cold enough for them. Nice to hear there pretty hardy. Will def. Have to try when there available again. They are somewhat “local” to me in lake erie, but thats a long shot for patrolling feeder streams collecting my own. Im a good hour away and the populations aren’t nearly as great as where ur at.
Yeah, the water in which I was wading when I caught them sure wasn't very cold...or I wouldn't have been wading barefoot! :) The temperature in my dad's basement where I kept them was usually 55-60F in the winter and closer to 65F or even 70F in the summer and they seemed to do well. Never crowded, all filtration air-powered so no shortage of aeration.

I vivdly recall seeing a couple in the shallows of that northern lake, illuminated by flashlight, and not realizing what they were. When I finally caught one and got a close look, I was over the moon, telling my brother that catching a fish of that species in a foot of water was a one-in-a-million fluke; then ten minutes later I caught the second one...:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store