Above Ground Swimming Pool to Pond Conversion

OzMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ok, so I moved into a new house and we have a large above ground swimming pool sitting in the backyard and no one seems to want to use it. Instead of dismantling and throwing it out, I would like to attempt a pond conversion :D.

I will be posting photos up soon, and this may then kick off my conversion thread from down under Australia.

The fish I would like to stock is Koi. I have successfully kept and bred Cichlids before, and I have had Koi before in an 8 foot indoor tank. The tank was stocked heavily, but I managed to keeps things under control. I am a little concerned as to what pool filtration I can salvage for the pond maintenance, also I may incorporate a vegie filter system.

If anyone has any suggestions or links to information that will help me make the right decisions that would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise stay tuned for my progress photos coming shortly:popcorn:.

Gasha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Rhode Island
don't know what kind of fish you can have down under... but if possible TSN FTW!!! lol

You will be able to grow some beautiful butterfly koi in an above ground pool.... can't wait to see pictures... get a big log in there floating... turtles and frogs could hang out on it... you could even anchor it so it's not moving....

OzMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Gasha;4558804; said:
don't know what kind of fish you can have down under... but if possible TSN FTW!!! lol

You will be able to grow some beautiful butterfly koi in an above ground pool.... can't wait to see pictures... get a big log in there floating... turtles and frogs could hang out on it... you could even anchor it so it's not moving....
There are frogs in the area, do you think they will be able to climb up into the pool as it is above ground? Would be nice.

biohazardcustomz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
illinois
i think its a cool idea and wish you the best of luck but before you spend too much on filtration and or fish to stock it with may i suggest putting some common goldfish or something to make sure its safe. i heard that pool liners can soak in the chemicals used to maintain them and be harmful to aquatic life after conversion. also some pool liners also have anti mold/ algae stuff in them that can be harmful. if thats the case you could always just get a pond liner to put in the pool before you fill it. but i would at least check before i go into all that trouble of setting it up. just my 2 cents.

mcsnapper1

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2010
Nor Cal
As for filtration, ask around at your local pool supply places. When people switch from cartridge filters to high rate sand, they usually throw out the old cart. filter. You may be able to get one free or greatly reduced. If you have any questions about pool filtration or pumps, PM me.

OzMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ok, I have taken some photos. This I guess is the first step in the project. I need to run some tests to see what the water content is at the moment. Not sure what pH level is or any chlorine traces.

181020103464.jpg

181020103465.jpg

181020103466.jpg

ar0wan

Epistemologist
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Austin, Tx
Doing it Right

Gasha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Rhode Island
christ....lol i would fill it up with salt water and get a dolphin.. J/K

yo so anyways... dude that is ridiculous.... unless you are going to put on snorkel and dive with your fish, i would rip that thing down and build a nice little pond.... the only reason i say this is because i think you will enjoy it more in the ground and can get into different plants, etc... there is no windows on the side so u will be peaking over...LAME!! if the liner is good to use you have free liner, so start digging!!

although... if you build a deck around it and put big bolders and plants, that could be one sic above ground unit... but only if it's done right!! if your just going to stock it and call it a day, i would rip it down... just my opinion though and it's what ever makes you happy!! good luck!! and take lots of pictures please....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store