Above Ground Swimming Pool to Pond Conversion

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
I think I would lose the cartridge filter. It's not going to do anything for you biologically and it's going to clog really fast once you stock a bunch of fish. On my pool/pond I used a sand filter with a layer of gravel so that it wouldn't get clogged too fast. On your's I would probably consider getting rid of the pool filtration entirely and build a shallow bog type pond for lots of plants running the length of the pool. You could just have the skimmer drain into the bog on one end and use a pump on the other end of the bog/pond to return water to the pool.

OzMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Duncan6618;4561374; said:
I think I would lose the cartridge filter. It's not going to do anything for you biologically and it's going to clog really fast once you stock a bunch of fish. On my pool/pond I used a sand filter with a layer of gravel so that it wouldn't get clogged too fast. On your's I would probably consider getting rid of the pool filtration entirely and build a shallow bog type pond for lots of plants running the length of the pool. You could just have the skimmer drain into the bog on one end and use a pump on the other end of the bog/pond to return water to the pool.
That's the sort of filter I had in mind. Do you have any photos of your setup that I can look at for ideas?

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
Sounds like a great project, good luck and I will be following

Gasha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Rhode Island
It's been almost a month... whats going on with the pool??:D

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
OzMonsterFish;4558928; said:
There are frogs in the area, do you think they will be able to climb up into the pool as it is above ground? Would be nice.
Put a path for them to enter the pool. FREE FOOD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store