Anybody into Geophagines????

corey24

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2007
west palm FL
I got three from nick(n-e cichlids) Geophagus red head how will they turn out they are 4.5inches right know and a little boring color wise what can i expect

Gage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2008
Canada
id like to add that the threadfin acara isnt a geophagus, it is an Acarichthys, it is classified an Eartheater which includes the genus' Geophagus, Satanoperca, Guinacara, Gymnogeophagus, and Acarichthys. there might be more but i figured id let you know.

irigardless, i love all of the eartheaters, i really like Satanperca leucosticta, a more pearly Jurupari, and so much easier to find!

L.BelcherII

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Work
I have three Geo dicrozoster, and two Gymnogeophagus labiatus. I'd like to add a few more. Is it better to keep them all the same, or is a mix and match just as good?

edit: What is a good sized shoal for a 180?

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Gage;2242528; said:
id like to add that the threadfin acara isnt a geophagus, it is an Acarichthys, it is classified an Eartheater which includes the genus' Geophagus, Satanoperca, Guinacara, Gymnogeophagus, and Acarichthys. there might be more but i figured id let you know.
For some reason it annoys me that a lot of people don't realise this, people manage to make the assumption that if it's got long fins and a different shaped mouth, it's automatically a Geophagus.

L.BelcherII;2242633; said:
I have three Geo dicrozoster, and two Gymnogeophagus labiatus. I'd like to add a few more. Is it better to keep them all the same, or is a mix and match just as good?

edit: What is a good sized shoal for a 180?
Mixings fine, but try to have small shoals of at least 2-3 of each species, however it really won't matter if you don't (My single altifrons is my most dominant, interactive and colourful fish in the tank). 180G would be good for around 8-10 full sized Eartheaters around the 8-10" mark.

Toodleypops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Washington
my favorites are the Satanoperca daemon, and the Geophagus Proximus (comes in very nice red or emerald colors :D)
im gonna get me some of them someday when i get another monster tank

hammerhead2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Philippines
geos are my most favorite fish.

i currently have cupidos, taeniopareius, heckeliis and surinamensis. Absolutely love them. going for the daemon and jurupari soon.

hammerhead2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Philippines
hammerhead2;2249520; said:
geos are my most favorite fish.

i currently have cupidos, taeniopareius, heckeliis and surinamensis. Absolutely love them. going for the daemon and jurupari soon.
Though i know these are not geos and only surinamensis is (and i do not know what kind it is).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store