Anybody into Geophagines????

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'm keeping Gymnogeophagus sp "Paso Pache" in an outdoor pond. They have survived night air temps in the 40s this spring in Milwaukee and spawned soon after. They are from te gymnogenys group endemic to Uruguay.

Water temps range from mid 70s during the day, to low 60s at night.
The pond is a 300 gal horse trough

nuth88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Firestone, Colorado
Duane~

You sir are an Artist! I can't wait to get my Gymnos!

Nice Pond Man~

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Japes if you're ever over this side of the ditch I'd love you to photograph my fish!!! I just can't get a decent shot at all. I really need to get of my ass and set my 160g up....

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
This seems like a good place to ask this question since the thread is already in progress....I got 6 tank bred Geophagus Surinamensis (labeled) from AquaBid yesterday. I absolutely love them, they're only 3/4"-1" total length and in a 20 g Long right now. This is ridiculously confusing the way they classify these guys, so how on earth do we know what specific fish we've got? My 8 month old camera just quit on me the other day so I can't even get clear pictures with the old camera.
I've also read anywhere from 6"-12" max size, sigh. That's quite a spread and I'm having a hard time finding concrete information as far as max size. Since these guys get along so well together-would I be able to keep them permanently in a 125 gal tank? I can split them into groups of 3 if I had to but then again-with all the conflicting information I'm not even sure what size tank a group of 3 would need.
I hope someone can help.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
The size will depend on which species it turns out to be, members of that group range from 3" to 12". Most 'surms' sold atm are usually altifrons which is one of the 12" species. Several years ago, it was proximus. Unfortunately, we probably won't be able to help you out with which one until they put on more size and color. Odds are though it's deffinately not a Geophagus surinamensis though, they only country they come from has laws against collecting or exporting any fish.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
darth pike;2101688; said:
The size will depend on which species it turns out to be, members of that group range from 3" to 12". Most 'surms' sold atm are usually altifrons which is one of the 12" species. Several years ago, it was proximus. Unfortunately, we probably won't be able to help you out with which one until they put on more size and color. Odds are though it's deffinately not a Geophagus surinamensis though, they only country they come from has laws against collecting or exporting any fish.
He said the 'dad' fish was 9", not sure if that'd help with ID or not. I got a batch of iones dentical to theselast January from LiveAquaria. They just had them available for a week, all 5 I got died within days. Can you tell anything from this picture? (it's one from 7 mo ago).
I'm sorry to bother you about it.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Damn this thread, I can't help myself! The LSF had just got in some nice "juripari" (will try to get a pic today) so I just had to have one!

Also picked up this. I've got the fish for a great south american biotope, now I just need to convince the mrs to let me get another big tank to house my bichirs and clown loaches so I don't have to mix them up. :D

xaznkewlguyx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
asdf
i just got myself into geo's recently and just recieved 5 pindares, 2 tanio's and 2 jurapari's from jeff rapps. :)

had 5 tapajos red heads and 2 suri's before that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store