Arowana wont eat?

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Here’s a pic of the fish, not the best as it won’t stay still and it’s right at the back of my tank which is almost 3 feet wide, but at least you guys can see the fish.

View attachment 1547735
The fish seems fine. There is no sunken belly or any other negative signs.

Jonnyakawombell

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
The fish seems fine. There is no sunken belly or any other negative signs.
Thank you so much for your time very reassuring to know, I've cranked the temp up to 30C and attempted to buy some fresh raw king prawns today but unfortunately both asda and Aldi were sold out of the raw ones, but will definitely have them back in stock tomorrow apparently, also I'though I'd had success in my latest tank feed as it had a bit cooked prawn actually in its mouth for a second or two then it spat it straight out and one of my ray's got it unfortunately.

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1

Jonnyakawombell

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Arowana has finally started eating crickets\mealworms, gut loaded with carrot last night THANK GOD, after around two weeks of trying everything, I definitively think raising the temp to 30 and increasing the flow helped massively, before that it wouldn't even be interested in food, but after the temp\flow rise it's interest started to increase daily before it finally accepted food late last night, so a massive thanks for that tip, still has absolutely no interest in prawns, hikari, or anything else, which could be worrying long term, but for now I'm just so happy it's started eating as obviously the fish was expensive and I honestly thought it was going to starve it's self to death at one point, huge thanks again, next step after getting the fish to eat regularly would getting it to eat a varied diet, which right now looks impossible if I'm being honest, just hope the fish becomes more open to different food as it settles into to tank more and more.

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Arowana has finally started eating crickets\mealworms, gut loaded with carrot last night THANK GOD, after around two weeks of trying everything, I definitively think raising the temp to 30 and increasing the flow helped massively, before that it wouldn't even be interested in food, but after the temp\flow rise it's interest started to increase daily before it finally accepted food late last night, so a massive thanks for that tip, still has absolutely no interest in prawns, hikari, or anything else, which could be worrying long term, but for now I'm just so happy it's started eating as obviously the fish was expensive and I honestly thought it was going to starve it's self to death at one point, huge thanks again, next step after getting the fish to eat regularly would getting it to eat a varied diet, which right now looks impossible if I'm being honest, just hope the fish becomes more open to different food as it settles into to tank more and more.
No problem thats what we are here for. During my time keeping fish i have encountered many which were picky eaters or wouidn't eat for weeks including florida gars, silver aros, Midevils, etc with Midevil being the toughest one to feed. However in all cases, i found that increasing the temperature helps a lot and i am glad it worked foy your aro. If you are worried about your aro not eating pellets, then i recommend stuffing one or two in each cricket you feed. I used this trick to feed my RTC pellets, which was also stuck on protein diet like shrimps, prwans, etc.

Reactions: Jonnyakawombell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store