Arowana

Fancy-fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2022
I have a silver Arowana in 180 gallon by himself, almost 2 feet long. Was looking for a couple tank mates to go with him. Was thinking fire eel.

any recommendations?

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I have a silver Arowana in 180 gallon by himself, almost 2 feet long. Was looking for a couple tank mates to go with him. Was thinking fire eel.

any recommendations?
I suggest taking cover, since you are about to come under some heavy fire.

yellowfinfmb

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
I think your tank is to small . the arowana will be 3 ft long your in trouble I have mine in a 10 ft long and 4 ft wide tank you can get a 3 ft wide tank but you need a bigger tank for the well being of the fish or if your state allows a jardini you can get away with a 2 ft wide tank I think our state doest allow them

Fancy-fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2022
Upgrading the tank is down the line. He not quite 2 feet yet.
but upgrading is a plan eventually, once I find a deal for a tank. Got the 180 for $150.

Reactions: AR1

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
On Dec 5th 2022, almost 2 years ago, you had your first post. You were telling us back then about your "2ft" silver arowana in your 180g.

Silvers are fast growing given the right conditions, yet yours is still about 2ft, almost two years later!!!

Either you are really really bad at estimating fish lengths, or your quoted sizes are indeed accurate. If it's the latter then your arowanas pathetic growth rate would point to stunting.

Something to think about.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Upgrading the tank is down the line. He not quite 2 feet yet.
but upgrading is a plan eventually, once I find a deal for a tank. Got the 180 for $150.
I suggest you post the tank water parameters first, and some pics of the fish. If esoxlucius esoxlucius is right, then your arowana may be stunted.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Fancy-fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2022
Damn, this is a rude chat. Came here for advice, just like anywhere in the hobby. His growth rate is probably stunt, or something is off.

Fancy-fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2022
Here is a picture of him/her. Had him/her for over 4 years now.
He eats very well, well he only eats mealworms. I’ve tried tons of stuff to feed him And he only eats mealworms. But he does eat.

as far as parameters. There fine. I’ve been keeping fish for over 6 years.
ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate would 30

IMG_6549.jpeg

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Here is a picture of him/her. Had him/her for over 4 years now.
He eats very well, well he only eats mealworms. I’ve tried tons of stuff to feed him And he only eats mealworms. But he does eat.

as far as parameters. There fine. I’ve been keeping fish for over 6 years.
ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate would 30

View attachment 1550800
The arowana looks healthy enough, but I don't like the fact that it's been eating mealworms exclusively for four years. This has likely deprived it of necessary nutrients, minerals, etc., which might be contributing to its lack of growth. If this continues, not only will your arowana's growth be stunted, but its lifespan may also decrease.

Have you tried feeding it tilapia, shrimp, or krill? Once it starts eating those, you can stuff them with pellets too. Since this is a larger arowana, I wouldn't hesitate to keep it hungry for a while to encourage it to eat new foods. You can also raise the water temperature to boost its metabolism while withholding food, so it's more inclined to try different options.

Reactions: Midwater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store