Best Ball Python Investment

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Thought this might be fun, as royals are not even just pets anymore, they are also "investment" snakes. What do you think is the best morph investment.
I suppose pastels/pastel jungles are always a favourite and you have some nice morph options with them.
Personally I like mojaves, but I have heard that Cinnamon's can be a pretty good investment as they are good to mix with various other morphs. Anyway, thought it might provoke some discussion......... :D

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
Defo has to be pieds or albinos IMO. Aslong as it is a gap in the market in your area.

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
Jessica Dring;978040; said:
Defo has to be pieds or albinos IMO. Aslong as it is a gap in the market in your area.
Guess that's why I'm not a breeder in for the $$$. Piebalds look "different" along with albinos, but somehow just don't do it for me. They look like abberations to me, which I guess is why they fetch such high prices.
Albinos could be rarely found naturally I guess, but piebalds look like Frankenstein's next experiment. Two snakes grafted into one. :screwy: :screwy:
For investment potential, I'd agree that these would be a good choice, as lots of folks look for them.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
Yeah. I actually like the look of the pieds more than that of the albinos. Saying that I prefer the 'natural phase' than any of the above.

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
I would say for investments sake it would be the pie's. They seem to fetch the most cash at the shows around here anyways.

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Actually now I am thinking there are two others that are gonna be expensive. I believe that one is the dreamsicle which was featured in a thread here and the other is going to be the Ball/Burm hybrid from Germany. The hybrid being the only true "abberation".

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
AGH! Investment snakes? Sends shivers down my spine...

There's a lot of money going around in the ball python market today. That has not gone unnoticed. Over the past few years, there has been a lot of talk about "investment" animals and whatnot. I feel like A LOT of people got into the market for the wrong reasons and that is one of the major problems with the market today.

People get in, and realize very quickly that you aren't going to turn your money around in one year. With the cost of feeders every week, caging, supplies, etc, etc, there's a decent amount of overhead that a lot of people don't realize and people have started dumping their projects to pay their bills coming due.

An example of this is with what happened to Mojave's last year. This time last year, Mojaves were selling anywhere from 2000 for males and 3000 for females. This one rimjob from the midwest who produced a lot of them decided that he was going to dump about 50 mojaves on the market for 800 a piece. Guess what the new "market price" on Mojaves was? $800, even though the supply was still relatively the same. One guy affected everyone's perception of their value and they've been 800 ever since.

As a result, people are scared to "invest" any decent sums of money into some ball python morphs for fear that someone is going to dump the market on them and significantly affect their return. Rightfully so! I wouldn't want to spend 2000 on a snake and then have it be valued at 800 less than two weeks later!

Basically, whats going on is that the "easy to produce" stuff is coming down in a price a lot because all those dudes that got into this for $ bought into co-dominant and dominant projects that you can produce lots of with normal females. A lot of those projects are mature now so the supply is huge and competition to sell is so fierce that people are undercutting each other in price left and right. Buyers can now get spiders, pastels, albinos, mojaves, and pinstripes for less than $1000. If you were to try to buy those two years ago, you'd be spending anywhere from 1500-5000 for the same animal.

So to address the question in this thread - recessive (albino, lav albino, pied, etc) and double co-dom (ivory, bumblebees, lucys, etc) are going to hold their value longer simply because they are harder to produce. Even more so are the double recessive animals (lav albino pied, etc) and co-dom x recessive combos (spider pied, etc) which really aren't even available to the public yet.

The fact of the matter here is that as long as ball pythons are in demand, which I feel they will be forever, you will be able to make your money back as long as you spend wisely. It might not be in one year, or two years, but in the long run, you can produce and sell offspring to pay for your hobby - so make sure you are in it for the long haul before you get in. I still have to pay attention to the market because I'm producing snakes and need to know what prices to ask of anyone who want to buy what I make, but generally I try to ignore all the market drama and just focus on what I love - the snakes!

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
In a few years the price for spiders, pastels, albinos, mojaves, and pinstripes, it wont be 800+ anymore ^^ Too much competition, everyone start breeding their own, even a little kid can do it!! The price wont stay fix.. ^^

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store