Best Ball Python Investment

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
NERD has mixed in the Woma gene with the Blue Eyed Leucys, however it basically just made it a crisper white.

With leucys, you have basically eliminated all the pattern and pigmentation that you can - so its more or less a "clean slate". Adding genetic information (combos) to the mix generally won't affect their appearance in a major way.

But hey, BELs have only been around for a few years, so its still very early in the "ball game" so to speak in any definite terms...stay tuned I guess!

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
piebalds would be a very good "investment" to go with, you can cross them with spiders and pinstripes and make piebalds with pinstripe patterns which would be awesome, i think the coolest bp ever would be a killerbee with a pied pattern in it.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
elevatethis;994526; said:
NERD has mixed in the Woma gene with the Blue Eyed Leucys, however it basically just made it a crisper white.

With leucys, you have basically eliminated all the pattern and pigmentation that you can - so its more or less a "clean slate". Adding genetic information (combos) to the mix generally won't affect their appearance in a major way.

But hey, BELs have only been around for a few years, so its still very early in the "ball game" so to speak in any definite terms...stay tuned I guess!
i thought it might be a bit clean slatish.

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
buckeyenut222;1018758; said:
piebalds would be a very good "investment" to go with, you can cross them with spiders and pinstripes and make piebalds with pinstripe patterns which would be awesome, i think the coolest bp ever would be a killerbee with a pied pattern in it.
Last year, Roussis Reptiles produced the first Spider Piebald.

Here it is.

He hatched two, and found that the spider gene influences the pied gene in such a way that that snake is completely white except for a small "hat" of pattern on its head. Given the variability of normal pieds, the chances that two pieds would hatch from the same clutch with the same head pattern would be 1 in a 1,000,000....so its pretty safe to say that the spider gene is influencing the amount of white in a major way.

A few weeks ago, Peter Kahl hatched out what he thinks is actually a Bumblebee Piebald (Pastel x Spider x Piebald). Basically, the head "cap" was slightly yellower (due to the addition of the pastel gene) than the regular spider pied, but there wasn't much of a difference otherwise.

So, in other words, mixing further genes into the spider pied cross (like the killer bee you mentioned) wouldn't make a huge difference in appearance, though its motherload of genetic material (super pastel x spider x pied) would be of great value to any breeder.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store