Best dwarf cichlid pair for a 20L

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
darth pike darth pike the tank is actually a 29 gal although I assume most dwarf cichlids only care about the length and not the height.The tank is 30Lx13Wx18H it's got a small gravel bottom mixed with Seachem Flourite. Going to do lots of driftwood and plants with a pew flower pots for caves. I've checked around my LFS and the two that will order apistos for me say they run around 50$-75$ for a pair.
The most common ones I've found where;

A.Macmasteri (as red neck Viejita)
A.Cacatuoides
A.Hongsloi
A.Agassizii
A.Borelli

So I'm starting to look at online vendors to decide if I can get a better deal ordering and paying shipping. Or a better quality fish. The only place online I've seen them so far is Wetspot. I'm also looking into Indian almond leaves as well to see if that would make the tank a better place for them. You recommend doing just a pair instead of a trio of 2 females and 1 male because of the limited footprint?

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Yes, exactly. A. borelli is small enough that you could fit a trio in, but the rest get large enough it would be tough without a lot of sight breaks and caves and such. Also, as you noticed, apistos are often sold in pairs instead of trios. While there are some pairing apistos (the A. nijesseni group), most are polygamous breeders so having a trio to divert male attention when the female isn't ready to breed is a good thing.

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
I have to pitch Nannacara anomala. Nice males are emerald green and the females are terrors when guarding fry (its fun to watch). Add in that they are forgiving in regards to water parameters and they are a great dwarf. Plus, they will spawn at 5-6 months old, so its neat to raise a second generation.

Reactions: Covetous

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
For anyone that's curious, the tank is up and running now for around two weeks. Going through due cycling process, I added a bag of ceramic rings from my sump on my well established tanks into the hob filter on this tank to help the process along. As well as getting a large peice of driftwood out of one of my other tanks, and one peice from a local shop I trust fairly well. Been aqua-scaping and it's still a work in progress. But I decided to add a couple of 99¢ neon tetras. Because I always like to cycle "fish in" if you will. But anyways here it is do far, still want to add some leaf litter. IMG_20161015_192555438.jpg IMG_20161015_192445554.jpg

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
For anyone that's curious, the tank is up and running now for around two weeks. Going through due cycling process, I added a bag of ceramic rings from my sump on my well established tanks into the hob filter on this tank to help the process along. As well as getting a large peice of driftwood out of one of my other tanks, and one peice from a local shop I trust fairly well. Been aqua-scaping and it's still a work in progress. But I decided to add a couple of 99¢ neon tetras. Because I always like to cycle "fish in" if you will. But anyways here it is do far, still want to add some leaf litter. View attachment 1208811 View attachment 1208812
Make life easy, go with Bolivian Rams
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikrogeophagus_altispinosus
thRSM2DYBH.jpg thU9GSC585.jpg
Easiest of all Dwarfs as I am to understand

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Then again, a lot of literature considers Jewels to be Dwarf cichlids as well as Kribensis and they're both really damn easy so, I guess it's a toss up on that one

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Lol Frank, that sounds like there is some personal experience there. You have a hard time with some apistos or something?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Lol Frank, that sounds like there is some personal experience there. You have a hard time with some apistos or something?
no, I just wont even attempt delicate species, and everyone said Bolivian Rams are the easiest of all SA Dwarfs so that's what I did, and they were doing great until I tried keeping them w/ other cichlids, then they got skinny and stopped eating. If you do any type of Ram, just make sure they are the ONLY cichlids in the tank lol They have to be tank boss, so everything you put with a Ram must be less aggressive, preferably just dithers, but people like Gouramis as tankmates too

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Frank Castle Frank Castle while I always like those little rams. I really want to try an apistos tank. I've got a few months to aqua-scape and get the tank ready. I want to do more plants, as well as some leaf litter for more tannins. I think I've narrowed it down to A. Borelli or A. baenschi
As those both are the smaller of the apistos. Although I like the look of the A. baenschi more I need to do more research on them. I don't want to get into it half assed. They will be the only cichlids in the tank. And at that only a trio of hopefully 2 females and a male. (Although I may have to get more and sort them) we all know how that goes. PS. Good to see you posting around again!

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store