Best dwarf cichlid pair for a 20L

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
A. baenschi are not one of the harem apistos, but one of the pairing ones. Letting the male pick isn't a bad thing, but once he does I would remove the second female as she would most likely be killed by the pair.

Reactions: Covetous

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
A. baenschi are not one of the harem apistos, but one of the pairing ones. Letting the male pick isn't a bad thing, but once he does I would remove the second female as she would most likely be killed by the pair.
See^ more research is needed! But to be honest the research is part of the fun for me. Learning about the individual needs of the fish, especially in something this small is very interesting to me. How do you like the A. baenschi darth pike darth pike

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Frank Castle Frank Castle while I always like those little rams. I really want to try an apistos tank. I've got a few months to aqua-scape and get the tank ready. I want to do more plants, as well as some leaf litter for more tannins. I think I've narrowed it down to A. Borelli or A. baenschi
As those both are the smaller of the apistos. Although I like the look of the A. baenschi more I need to do more research on them. I don't want to get into it half assed. They will be the only cichlids in the tank. And at that only a trio of hopefully 2 females and a male. (Although I may have to get more and sort them) we all know how that goes. PS. Good to see you posting around again!
it's up to you overall, it's your tank and only you know your own experience levels, but Dwarfs are not by any means and easy cichlid to keep, that's why the 3 I recommended are rather simple and somewhat hardy - Jewels being incredibly hardy. Good luck whatever you decide to go with

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
See^ more research is needed! But to be honest the research is part of the fun for me. Learning about the individual needs of the fish, especially in something this small is very interesting to me. How do you like the A. baenschi darth pike darth pike
Top of the list as far as apistos go. But then I am more partial to the pairing ones over the harem ones so keep that in mind.

it's up to you overall, it's your tank and only you know your own experience levels, but Dwarfs are not by any means and easy cichlid to keep, that's why the 3 I recommended are rather simple and somewhat hardy - Jewels being incredibly hardy. Good luck whatever you decide to go with
Dwarves cover the whole range. Some are as easy to keep as convicts (A. cacatuoides and Laetacara dorsigera come to mind) and some make wild caught heckel discus seem as easy to keep as convicts (A. elizabethae).

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
A. baenschi is my favorite Apistogramma thus far (I have kept 8 species to date). I have two pairs currently, each in a ten gallon tank loaded with plants and leaves. I was not planning on keeping them long term in the 10s, but they are doing so well that I am going to hold onto them until I can furnish larger tanks. The two pairs are spawning regularly.

I think they are a perfect species to start with. You will want to start with more than a pair ideally, as they can be picky about choosing mates. From what I can tell, they are not as picky as A. panduro.

The males are beautiful and I have not had issues with them beating up the females. The females are on the higher end of the aggression scale when guarding fry. Considering the amount of success that hobbyist have had with this species, I would not consider them difficult. The females are fantastic mothers.

If you are near SC, shoot me a PM. I can pull some fry for you.

Reactions: Covetous

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
That's good to hear A ahud I've been reading up on them and I think their super interesting little guys. Plus I love their look. I'm still working on more vegetation in the tank. Plus I kind of want to try Indian almond leaves. Do you use them?

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
I have not used Indian almond leaves, but I do use oak leaves extensively. I think the effects are the same.

I agree, they have an interesting look. Especially the females, they look like a vicious bee when guarding fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store