Best Place to Buy Aquarium Sand?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
I am not wanting to use play sand and the like as it has too much clay in it and makes my water cloudy. I used to have black sand, it was awesome...and at the time that I got it there was another color that was tan. That is what I am trying to find. It was perfect for rays, geos, whatever. I just need to know where I can get some. Any suggestions? Thankz!
P_p!!

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
I would also like to know, Im trying to find a good high quality non silica sand to use in my future ray tank. I have heard of "ArtSand" wich I really like because it isnt as fine as regular sand and doesnt seem like it would get sucked up during water changes, or into the filter intake, but I cannot find were to buy it.

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
azgardens pretty much just has flourite.

Same with drfostersmith.com, but they also have Tahitian moon sand.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
only sand i've seen has been pool filter sand, and normal play sand. if you wash the play sand correctly and enough times, you don't really have the water turning colors.

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
Does pool filter sand come in different sizes? I dont want it super fine as Im using two canister filters in the growout and I dont want the sand being sucked up into the filters whenever the rays are burrowing and what not..

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Just keep your finter intakes at least three inches above the substrate, thats what i do. Generally don't have any problems, and I've had my tanks sand for about five years now...no problems...;).

Really would like to find some of that fine, tan colored sand though, don't want play sand or pool sand cuz I am tired of the clay that clouds the water repeatedly.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Call around to all of your sand, gravel, and industrial 'substrate' companies in your area. You'd be surprised at some of the variety you might come across.

A new LFS in my area makes special trips to Portland, OR. There is a company their that produces tons of varieties of natural decorative sands and substrates, for gardening and crafts. Costs about $4/50lbs, and it is the only place I have located a 'FINE SMOOTH AGATE GRAVEL' (not sand) that is completely natural and neutral. It is large enough to not compact or ruin a filter, but small and smooth enough to be completely ray/geo safe and still have that very nice natural sand look. I can take pics if you want.

Also look for the 100% quartz pool filter sand that is the 'larger grain'.. Good luck jer

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Miles;871308; said:
Call around to all of your sand, gravel, and industrial 'substrate' companies in your area. You'd be surprised at some of the variety you might come across.

A new LFS in my area makes special trips to Portland, OR. There is a company their that produces tons of varieties of natural decorative sands and substrates, for gardening and crafts. Costs about $4/50lbs, and it is the only place I have located a 'FINE SMOOTH AGATE GRAVEL' (not sand) that is completely natural and neutral. It is large enough to not compact or ruin a filter, but small and smooth enough to be completely ray/geo safe and still have that very nice natural sand look. I can take pics if you want.

Also look for the 100% quartz pool filter sand that is the 'larger grain'.. Good luck jer

Aye, get us a picture man. The reason I was wantin to get that aquarium special sand is because of the color AND because it won't alter/mess with your pH! So if that agate gravel looks cool, might have to have you ship me some eh? ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store