Best Place to Buy Aquarium Sand?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Peanut_Power;878937; said:
If you read my first post, I'm trying to stay AWAY from pool sand or play sand.

The kind I am lookin for is just like tahiti moon sand, except its tan colored. Very kewl stuff, I saw it about a year and a half ago...now i can't find it.
Where did you get your pool filter sand? It's tan sand that is clean and wont cloud the water. Look for aquaquartz. It's crushed quartz and it's tan, clean, good looking and inexpensive.

You mentioned that pool filter sand has too much clay? I've never seen pool filter sand with ANY clay.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Leslie's Pool Supply brand 20-grade pool filter sand is the best I've seen. It's fairly large grade so it sinks quickly, smooth so not to harm fish, and looks great. It's almost clean and ready to use right out of the bag but it costs $11.99 for a 50lb bag. Oh yeah and no clay whatsoever...extremely clean clear water all the time.

Raul-7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Lomita, CA
balton777;879821; said:
Leslie's Pool Supply brand 20-grade pool filter sand is the best I've seen. It's fairly large grade so it sinks quickly, smooth so not to harm fish, and looks great. It's almost clean and ready to use right out of the bag but it costs $11.99 for a 50lb bag. Oh yeah and no clay whatsoever...extremely clean clear water all the time.
Last time I bought it looked and felt much rougher than your typical sand; looks like extremely small gravel.

IMO, the best sand (but it is pricey) is the 'Bright Sand' made by ADA. Not too bright and not too dark, just perfect.

http://www.adgshop.com/Decorative_Sand_s/23.htm

brown_eye_crushers25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Go to a NAMCO, or pool/outdoor center and they will have it. $5-$10 for a 50lb bag. I washed it with 5gal bucket and hose - add some while adding water, overflow off light materials, drain start over. Dumped it in tank and haven't seen much of any sand being sucke into pick-up tubes. Cleaning is easy when vaccing as the sand won't pull up more than 2-3 inches, almost a sifting action.

What I did notice with my tanks in relation to fish coloring:

Fish were in tank with dark gravel & mirror back = fish always had bright/dark color (what I mean is very vibrant coloring)

Fish in tank with tan pool filter sand and no background (clear tank - no paint) = fish kinda faded out and not vibrant all the time. I think what I am going to try is painting back of tank a blue or black. See if that adjusts them.

Taz2478

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
not where I'm supposed to be
Raul-7;879832; said:
Last time I bought it looked and felt much rougher than your typical sand; looks like extremely small gravel.

IMO, the best sand (but it is pricey) is the 'Bright Sand' made by ADA. Not too bright and not too dark, just perfect.

http://www.adgshop.com/Decorative_Sand_s/23.htm
it is a bit high but looks nice. Sarawak Sand looks like what R1 has.

I might order a bag to try it.

how about Reef Sand

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store