Best Place to Buy Aquarium Sand?

Sundew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Daytona Beach, Florida
Pool filter sand is readily available. It is relatively cheap and at least the kind I bought was completely clean, I did not wash it, just dumped two bags into a 135 and filled it up, and you could see end to end! It is great for a planted tank, the plants root well in. Good for Geophagus also. Probably not good for Stingrays as it's pretty rough. The nice thing about sand vs gravel is that sand does not trap all kinds of gunk. Dead plants, uneaten food, etc, all stay on the surface where they can be easily vacuumed up.

I love that Tahitian Black sand but it is expensive and black sand, while giving a beautiful tank, will also cause your fish to turn dark to 'blend in.' I had a common severum that was nearly as black as the sand, when its tankmates beat it up, I put it into a tank with white filter sand and now it is a much prettier brick red.

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
Miles;871308; said:
Call around to all of your sand, gravel, and industrial 'substrate' companies in your area. You'd be surprised at some of the variety you might come across.

A new LFS in my area makes special trips to Portland, OR. There is a company their that produces tons of varieties of natural decorative sands and substrates, for gardening and crafts. Costs about $4/50lbs, and it is the only place I have located a 'FINE SMOOTH AGATE GRAVEL' (not sand) that is completely natural and neutral. It is large enough to not compact or ruin a filter, but small and smooth enough to be completely ray/geo safe and still have that very nice natural sand look. I can take pics if you want.

Also look for the 100% quartz pool filter sand that is the 'larger grain'.. Good luck jer
Were exactly is this LFS? I'd just like to know because were both in washington...

Could you also take a picture, I think I know what youre talking about and its the type of substrate I want if the picture maches what Im thinking.

4 bucks for 50 pounds is a damn good deal! I'll have to take a trip there.

Sundew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Daytona Beach, Florida
Bsixxx;876959; said:
home depot
:D

play sand
Ah yes, the Thylacine. Sad, sad story. :( Keep hoping a few will turn up.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
If you read my first post, I'm trying to stay AWAY from pool sand or play sand.

The kind I am lookin for is just like tahiti moon sand, except its tan colored. Very kewl stuff, I saw it about a year and a half ago...now i can't find it.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
hmmmm i don't know what to tell ya. i haven't seen it around here.....but about that moon sand, i love when my fish turn darker, it brings out the "sparkles" in many fish, and to me darker fish just seem to be better lookers.

can't wait to move my senegal into moon sand 55 gallon tank.

JuanTamad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, Fl
all those blue letterings are so painful to look at, let alone read.:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store